How durable are woods inlay models?

I bought a Larger Sebenza 21 in Spalted beech with a ladder Damascus blade earlier this year. I’ve used it here and there to cut down boxes and such, but I want to use it a bit harder. Clean up fish I catch or Turkey I harvest. Whittle, strip wire or cut thinner gauge soft wire, etc. Sweat with the wood concerns me as well as staining from blood, dirt, etc. What I love about the CRKs is how easy they are to take down and how rust resistant they see. Anybody have any insight?

Are there any wood models that are more resistant to damage than others or are all stabilized woods equally durable? If I were to stabilize balsa would it be as durable as oak for instance?

Also, the fact that the 21 is discontinued concerns me if damaged but I don’t want to make it a safe Queen.

Following this thread. I have similar concerns about my 21, which had wood inlays.

Edit: Mine are thuya burl

Here are a couple threads that may help:

Dcdavis Dcdavis please pickup the house phone
I had a striped platan warp on me once. It was humid summer and I had been in the woods and around creeks/water all day. I don’t think it should’ve warped personally. Never really got wet, something happened tho. Anyway CRK warrantied it without me even asking. I sent pics and they were on it like clockwork. Even let me choose any wood inlay I wanted they had in stock.

I have a spalted beech that I use for work, it’s never given me any problems at all. Sweaty hands, mud, dirt. I’ve never taken it hunting or field dressed anything with it. It’s been fishing with me many times tho

If your knife fails it will be a fluke and blur something you could have prevented by using it differently. Shoulder be just fine, and CRK's warranty is bulletproof. I've used it on several knives for other issues. I come from mostly traditional knife background where wood, Micarta, and bone are the norm for handle materials. On those knives, they're fastened with weaker processes and materials than are used by CRK, and they rarely if ever fail with proper upkeep just like any tool.

You can keep the wood conditioned every day often with some mineral oil and that will help it resist atmospheric stressors. Otherwise, use it until it is unusable, and if it's the knife's fault and not just lifespan wear and tear, then CRK will make you happy.

Yeah, I’m not so much worried about the adhesive as much as the wood. I intended it to be a user but failed to think about anything further than cutting cardboard. I love the knife and want to use it use it but being that the 21 is no longer I’m worried about parts availability.

you can use Renascence Wax too if you're worried about blood staining the wood or anything. CRK recommends it for their wood inlays.

Yeah, I’m not so much worried about the adhesive as much as the wood. I intended it to be a user but failed to think about anything further than cutting cardboard. I love the knife and want to use it use it but being that the 21 is no longer I’m worried about parts availability.
They should have a solid stock of parts for a while. If it's some years down the road and there are no 21 handles or parts left and you need a warranty replacement, they'd likely offer you a 31 option.

All right guys, thanks. I didn't know if CRK would tell me I was S.O.L. if something happened to my knife and they didn't have the parts. As far as renaissance wax, i do use it but again, i don't know the life of it coming in and out of the pocket and don't know how well CRK wood is stabilized.

All right guys, thanks. I didn't know if CRK would tell me I was S.O.L. if something happened to my knife and they didn't have the parts. As far as renaissance wax, i do use it but again, i don't know the life of it coming in and out of the pocket and don't know how well CRK wood is stabilized.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but since you have started two threads about this already; why wouldn't you just call CRK and get their take on it? I don't think any of us can give you a better answer then they can provide.

I understand your hesitation regarding using a 21, I have a Damascus micarta knife that I am careful with for just that reason.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but since you have started two threads about this already; why wouldn't you just call CRK and get their take on it? I don't think any of us can give you a better answer then they can provide.

I understand your hesitation regarding using a 21, I have a Damascus micarta knife that I am careful with for just that reason.
It's more so getting user input on the topic. I don't see or hear from many with spalted beech.
The second part of my question was what other wood inlaid models wear better, i'm assuming bog oak but i don't know for sure.
I don't know CRK as a company very well nor have i warrantied anything so i don't know how far out of production they stock parts for.
The adhesive i'm not worried about, i have VHB i can use. I wouldn't purposely subject my knife to water unless i was cleaning blood or something off of it.
I enjoy the ease of takedown which is what makes me want to carry it. I just don't want to ruin it if it can be avoided. I don't NEED to use the knife in those roles, i WANT to.
New users come around all the time so if the topic comes to mind i'll sometimes post a similar question and see if anybody has had similar questions or experiences.
No snarky, i understand. I sometimes think the same about other people. What gets me is when people post the same question in three forum areas lol.

Back