How hand cut files were made, video

I've had the benefit of seeing those videos before, and they're wonderful. I wish I had saved it, but back in college I had access to JSTOR and there was a great article about medieval file manufacture that was incredibly thorough and included photos recreating the entire process for both files of various sorts and rasps.

Wow i really enjoyed that. I could sit and listen to him explain that stuff for hours. Not much can get me to sit still so that's really saying something! Haha. Thanks for sharing that garry3!

Riffle.jpg

Hand-stitched Rifflers? I am curious.

I'll see if I can find the JSTOR for you, 42Blades.

It is also possible it was on another one of the university-access journals, but I'm pretty sure it was JSTOR. It was some really cool stuff.

I feel like a broken record but Weygers talks about file and rasp making in his book.

I for one entirely and totally appreciate you bringing up Waygers.Maybe more important to people of our generation,where the printed books were the main source of info,but the man was So gifted,both in his love and skill at metalworking but also at inspiring others...

Those videos are excellent,it's a really good idea to pay certain homage to the art and science of file-making,our civilization solidly rests on that very tool and those that made it.

What puzzled me slightly is how Ken kinda glosses over the conundrum concerned with HT'ing of a file.
For there's a serious hitch there:The very tips of the file teeth is where the rubber hits the road;and of course were you to simply bring it to critical and quench a newly cut file those very tips will go away in scale and decarb.
Possibly,by that Golden Age of Sheffield manufacturies they already had the atmosphere inside their HT furnaces so trickily adjusted that it wasn't an issue...
I forgot what Waygers says about it(to my shame...but i haven't owned a copy for years now,alas).Early medieaval monk Theophilus writes in 11th c. how already cut iron file-blanks were packed in a clay muffle full of charcoal dust and salt,carburised to whatever necessary degree,and then while still at critical temp dumped out into the quench,avoiding oxygen in all the hot part of the process.

But yes,a most critical skill,that.Not easily studied either,as the outside of an historical artefact suffers first and the most,not too awful much is known about the finishing of metalwork in history.Very few examples of evidence of file marks remain,but there Are some,going back plenty far....

Last edited:
Thanks to the Old Axeman for bringing this up,and Agent_H for translating it for the computer-retarded,wonderful stuff there...:)

"...It consists in a patent process of impinging upon the teeth of finished files, a gritty liquid, in such a manner as shall whet the teeth to a degree of sharpness never before attainable."

Back