how heavy a knife are you willing to... (and the BK2)

If limited to Beckers for this exercise, then the Campanion would be it in terms of maximum weight for me. But I'd really prefer to go less than 7 oz -- something like a Fallkniven S1 -- and then bring a folding saw or pocket chainsaw as well.

I'm willing to carry a 20" blade (with handle) that is 1" thick with a full convex.

gimmie.

if i'm willing to carry 6-8 liters of water, a piddly couple knives is nothing. i often want an axe with me, and at least a khukri or something similar...

Bladite

My choice - lose 40lbs of fat and carry the BK-9 and an axe! Oh and the metal pot of course. <wink>

oh and also my RC-6 and RC-3 heaven forbid I forget them!

Last edited:
I personally try to carry no more than 1.5 lbs of blade. Although that sounds like a lot of weight in steel, I've found that it's all about the carry method.

I made a few basic mods to my BK2 sheath after having carried it through jungle for about 25 miles in a few hikes & test expeditions. Ended up carrying it on a drop leg fashion and now I can barely even feel it there.

Many(myself included) who camp/hike carry 10~20~40+ pounds with them, that pound from the BECKER may be the most important and useful of them all.

Back