How I use the Lansky sharpener

Nice video.
Let me ask you a question...
FFG blades have a grind angle from spine to the edge, and that’s ok but a knife like spyderco ambitious that have a short blade with no ricasso or aflar area above the primary grind and have also a grind from handle to tip, how would you clamp this knife?

Would not the clamp be crooked? Or if there is no space in the screw hole, would not the vise become crooked?
How could I level the angle difference between the handle and the tip? Maybe a soft leather piece at the gap between the low point of blade and the vise?

Last edited:
Nice video.
FFG blades have a grind angle from spine to the edge, and that’s ok but a knife like spyderco ambitious that have a short blade with no ricasso or aflar area above the primary grind and have also a grind from handle to tip, how would you clamp this knife?

Would not the clamp be crooked? Or if there is no space in the screw hole, would not the vise become crooked?
How could I level the angle difference between the handle and the tip? Maybe a soft leather piece at the gap between the low point of blade and the vise?

Yes, the clamp would be angled. I try to keep the edge of the clamp perpendicular to the edge. It does cause some blades to be clamped at an angle. I use masking tape as a filler on a FFG.

Nice video.

I also use masking tape when I sharpen my full flat grinded knives. And dont press too hard, make sure its in the middle :)

And thank you :)

Excellent video. You did a great job of breaking it down to a simple, ~10 minute process. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent video. You did a great job of breaking it down to a simple, ~10 minute process. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much.
Breaking it down is my most important job :)
Dont make easy things too complicated :)
And get more people into knifemaking/maintenance :)

Thomas

Very helpful video. I've been using a Lansky for years. But I have a question. I've always run the stones only towards the edge (cutting into the stone.) Your way, of going in both directions sure looks quicker. Have I been working too hard?

Hi Guys

Also made a small video of how I use the Lansky sharpener to sharpen my knives.

You guys have any other good tips or tricks?

Thomas

Thank you for posting, I am actually in the market for a new guided sharpening system. I will definitely give this one some thought.

Very helpful video. I've been using a Lansky for years. But I have a question. I've always run the stones only towards the edge (cutting into the stone.) Your way, of going in both directions sure looks quicker. Have I been working too hard?

Lansky is saying that it is not optimal to grind both ways with their standart system, but I have never had any problems with diamond stones.
I have learned it from watching Gough customs videos, who Is doing the same.
Lansky says that you can pull burrs down when grinding both ways. I say THANK YOU :) Thants what I want, so I can make sure my knife is grinded all the way along the edge :)

Anyways, not saying its the right way to do it. Just saying its my way, and it works :)

Thomas

Last edited:
Back