How Important Is Exercise For Weight Loss?

If you’d asked me a decade ago what was the best method of weight loss, if I choose only exercise or diet, but not both, I would have said exercise all day. That is, increase exercise, lean body mass, and so forth, to create a caloric deficit vs reducing calories if I could only choose one. That conclusion appears to have been wrong, and I’m here to explain why. On the surface, that appears to turn a sacred cow of the fitness world on its head, but in retrospect, I think we knew it all along. Hey, someone said “you can’t out exercise a bad diet” and that’s essentially true. Who ever said it, just didn’t realize just how true it is.

URL removed per mod request.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
When I avoid sugar and foods high in carbs I loose weight. When I exercise with a high carb diet I don't loose much weight. But regardless the human body should keep the hear rate up with some physical activity and avoid sugar and foods high in carbs. Stick to foods with higher healthy fat content than carbs. But there are carbs in nearly everything so it's paramount to get that right ratio. I don't find keto is necessary and in fact it's important to eat lots of salads and vegetables that may go against this kind of keto diet. I prefer intermittent fasting. Eating enough food that keeps you full so that you only eat twice a day. While also in taking enough foods with vitamins, nutrients and etc needed for growing as well.

So is it necessary to exercise, I still think so. But you don't have to go all out. Keep it simple. But you can loose weight without it. But long walks or intermittent jogging is healthy for the heart and body. I find that combined with simple push ups etc works well if you don't want to goto the gym.

When I avoid sugar and foods high in carbs I loose weight. When I exercise with a high carb diet I don't loose much weight. But regardless the human body should keep the hear rate up with some physical activity and avoid sugar and foods high in carbs. Stick to foods with higher healthy fat content than carbs. But there are carbs in nearly everything so it's paramount to get that right ratio. I don't find keto is necessary and in fact it's important to eat lots of salads and vegetables that may go against this kind of keto diet. I prefer intermittent fasting. Eating enough food that keeps you full so that you only eat twice a day. While also in taking enough foods with vitamins, nutrients and etc needed for growing as well.

So is it necessary to exercise, I still think so. But you don't have to go all out. Keep it simple. But you can loose weight without it. But long walks or intermittent jogging is healthy for the heart and body. I find that combined with simple push ups etc works well if you don't want to goto the gym.

Of course, only major point is it contributes far less to creating a calorie deficit for weight loss than most realize, and people tend to vastly over estimates it's contribution to weight loss. which may actually hinder their weight loss. There's also many other benefits, so it's not an excuse not to exercise.

Last edited:
Exercise alone is not enough but a crucial part of my formula. I mountain bike every night to keep my heart rate up and burn some calories and when my weight creeps up like after the holidays :confused: I adjust my eating habits by skipping one meal a day and substitute that meal with fruit and water. Then I cut down on carbs and sugar as much as humanly possible and I force myself to drink more water during the day as that helps to stave off the the hunger. I once lost 25 pounds on a modified Atkins diet and I never felt hungry the whole time but for that you have to love meat. The balance of exercise and diet is a tough code to crack and it's taken me 25 years to figure out so I wish you luck and some words of advice OP, Never give up :thumbsup:

I have tried to lose weight for 40 of my last 55 yrs with very limited success it wasn't till I did Intermittent fasting that i lost 30 lbs,and have kept it off for 3 years(I eat in a 6hr window everyday 11am-5pm )
If you want weight loss, diet is a lot faster,but moderate exercise is always helpful-try to do both and if your getting older,careful with the exercise your you won't be doing anything but constantly nursing your body back to health.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
I think that the best option is to adhere to proper nutrition and moderate exercise, a lot of walking on foot. As for me this is the ideal option. True, I was able to lose weight only when I got on a very strict diet because of stomach problems.

You lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym.

One of my doctors once pointed out that I would have to run on the treadmill for an hour to cover the calories in a bagel with cream cheese.

I'm a life long fat guy. I've gained and lost hundreds of pounds (unfortunately). In my adult life my weight has been between 195-325. Right now around 275. I state this only to say that I've seen them all, read about them all, tried them all. All diets work, IF you stick to them. Some are healthier than others. Some are harder or easier to stick to. But it comes down to calories in, calories out.

The moderate amount of calories burned during exercise is not negligible but doesn't substantially change the equation. Yesterday, according to my FitBit (so I don't know how accurate that is), I exercised for 42 minutes and burned 238 calories doing a workout tape. That is basically 2 slices of Pepperidge Farm Hearty Farmhouse Bread or a couple of lager beers.

An important fact to note: it’s more than just the calories you burn while exercising. Exerise has the bonus of increasing one’s basal metabolic rate, especially if one is able to increase (or at the very least sustain) muscle mass.

Best recipe: a well balanced diet (most of us could replace some fat and sugar with fruits and vegitables) coupled with an exercise regimen that combines cardio with strength training. Of course there are certain metabolic syndromes that make it more challenging, as does advancing age.

I’ve never much liked strength training. I’m more an outdoor cardio person. I’m also getting older and like to eat. :(

An important fact to note: it’s more than just the calories you burn while exercising. Exerise has the bonus of increasing one’s basal metabolic rate, especially if one is able to increase (or at the very least sustain) muscle mass.

Best recipe: a well balanced diet (most of us could replace some fat and sugar with fruits and vegitables) coupled with an exercise regimen that combines cardio with strength training. Of course there are certain metabolic syndromes that make it more challenging, as does advancing age.

I’ve never much liked strength training. I’m more an outdoor cardio person. I’m also getting older and like to eat. :(

Actually, I wrote the article to discuss just that. Various studies done that find exercise actually has minimal to no impact on RMR, and added LBM uses about 6-9 cals extra per lb, so you'd have to add a lot of LBM make a major impact. So, while exercise has an impact, around approx 10%, it's far less then once thought.

For example, study just published, which was a well controlled RCT, had elite rugby players do 14 weeks of a an RT program and they gained 2kg of LBM, and if had no impact on RMR.

The old expression "you can't out exercise a bad diet" is not only true, it's truer than we thought.

This article via Vox that's good:

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories

You lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym.

I like this but I would probably say......You loose weight in the kitchen and stay healthy in the gym.
Even moderate exercise is essential for a healthy lifestyle.:)

Actually, I wrote the article to discuss just that. Various studies done that find exercise actually has minimal to no impact on RMR, and added LBM uses about 6-9 cals extra per lb, so you'd have to add a lot of LBM make a major impact. So, while exercise has an impact, around approx 10%, it's far less then once thought.

For example, study just published, which was a well controlled RCT, had elite rugby players do 14 weeks of a an RT program and they gained 2kg of LBM, and if had no impact on RMR.

The old expression "you can't out exercise a bad diet" is not only true, it's truer than we thought.

This article via Vox that's good:

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories

I’d like to read the rugby article. Can you drop a citation to the publication?

I’d like to read the rugby article. Can you drop a citation to the publication?

Are increases in skeletal muscle mass accompanied by changes to resting metabolic rate in rugby athletes over a pre-season training period?

Eur J Sport Sci. 2019 Jan 7:1-8. doi: 10.1080/17461391.2018.1561951.

Abstract

Optimising dietary energy intake is essential for effective sports nutrition practice in rugby athletes. Effective dietary energy prescription requires careful consideration of athletes' daily energy expenditure with the accurate prediction of resting metabolic rate (RMR) important due to its influence on total energy expenditure and in turn, energy balance. This study aimed to (a) measure rugby athletes RMR and (b) report the change in RMR in developing elite rugby players over a rugby preseason subsequent to changes in body composition and (c) explore the accurate prediction of RMR in rugby athletes. Eighteen developing elite rugby union athletes (age 20.2 ± 1.7 years, body mass 101.2 ± 14.5 kg, stature 184.0 ± 8.4 cm) had RMR (indirect calorimetry) and body composition (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) measured at the start and end of a rugby preseason ∼14 weeks later. There was no statistically significant difference in RMR over the preseason period (baseline 2389 ± 263 kcal·day-1 post 2373 ± 270 kcal·day-1) despite a significant increase in lean mass of +2.0 ± 1.6 kg (P < 0.01) and non-significant loss of fat mass. The change in RMR was non-significant and non-meaningful; thus, this study contradicts the commonly held anecdotal perception that an increase in skeletal muscle mass will result in a significant increase in metabolic rate and daily energy needs. Conventional prediction equations generally under-estimated rugby athletes' measured RMR, and may be problematic for identifying low energy availability, and thus updated population-specific prediction equations may be warranted to inform practice.

Thanks. I’ll read it. My original degree was in Exercise Science (a long time ago), but my career life has led me elsewhere. It’s still an area of interest.

I’m still very good at finding faults with research methodology...or maybe I’m just a crotchety old bastard...sometimes it’s hard to differentiate! ;)

My wife and I started intermittent fasting before our wedding. She was doing it more than I was, we stuck to it for about 3 months. She lost 25 pounds doing nothing but only eating in a 5-8 hour window each day, basically fasting all day and eating once she got home. I lost like 10 pounds, heh. We didn't watch what we ate AT ALL, just only eating in our "window". I wouldn't believe it, but I saw it firsthand. Only eating in the window helps limit total daily calories as well. Especially after you've done it for a bit and your stomach/body becomes used to a smaller amount of food. Could be helpful to those that find it hard to not eat what they want. Change the what to when!

I think exercise and being out in nature is very healing. I've always been a very active guy. Exercise helps me see the results quicker and feel better about myself all round. Another big reason I strenghth train is my body can take a lot more abuse at work. If you can find something that inspires you in the exercise areana, your in a great place. Or even something that motivates you.

I've lost 12 pounds in 10 days doing Keto. No exercise yet, but that will happen soon...

I've lost 12 pounds in 10 days doing Keto. No exercise yet, but that will happen soon...

That's awesome! To everyone willing to make changes in their life for the better. My fiancé and her daughter have been doing a keto diet since the 1st. I forgot how difficult it can be. She was having herxheimer die off reactions for about 4 days. Chills, fatigue, headache, body aches and such she got through it. I had basically the same experience when I first did it. She told me she wanted to do a keto diet, without me even mildly cajoling. its a simple thing, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

The great news is, at least for me, after I went through with this diet. Even if I go off the diet, it was much much easier to go back to it without the bad reactions.

Its all a balance of calories. You need to burn more than what you take in. Exercise and a balanced diet go
Well together. Eating well balanced meals along with exercise is the best combination. I always recommend
Walking. Its the best over all exercise. Its what are bodies are designed to do. I don't have a degree in that area but Ive been a
Life long fitness fanatic. I personally do running, circuit-training and weight training. In the summer I also swim. I have no more than 10% body fat at any time. Usually around 7-8%. This is a bit extreme for the average person. I usually help my wifes friends lose weight. I do this through diet, walking and circuit training.

Back