How is A2 steel?

I'd use the search feature, but it doesn't allow anything less than three characters. :p

So, I'm eyeing those fixed knives from Bark River and I don't know what A2 is like compared to some of the others. I read the FAQ, but what are your experiences with this steel?

Thanks.

... a tool steel. Can be prone to oxidation although it is very tough. It is a steel used to cut other steels. It is, also, a very heavy steel. I have a short sword made of it and it is like a crow bar.

I have a searching tip for ya! To search for things with less than 3 characters, put one or 2 ** in it! So search for A2*

:)

A2 is excellent stuff! It holds an edge for a really long time and it cuts like crazy. It is one steel I can always put a screaming sharp edge on.

It never seemed "heavier" than any other steel to me!?! :D :rolleyes: :confused:

i heard it was good, it holds an edge really well, its not a stainless, simple thimng, use it in a drier climate, and keep it oiled or rub it down, no biggie

Chris Reeves uses A2 on the One Piece line. His knives are known for toughness and my own experiance would bear that out.

I live in a wet climate, the knives have been wet for days at a time in the past, the only thing I do is to wipe them down with Breakfree.

I think A2 is fine, relatively inexpensive, and somewhat over rated for toughness. I've experienced some trouble with A2 used on very thin edges (which I'd consider a misuse of the steel). It seems to do very well on geometries with more edge thickness, and I think I'd rate it somewhere around the toughness of optimally HT'd S30V.

It's certainly not as tough as 5160, L6, etc., so I think some of the "tough-thing" has been super-hyped, but it's fine given good craftsmanship and a sound knowledgebase about it's optimal use.

I suppose most of that can be said for many steels, but if I was looking for the "Toughest" knife I could get for field use, I wouldn't select A2.

Back