How is hunting season going?

Day Four - We put on the kilometers both in the truck and in our boots on this day. We waited out lions and heards of impala in the thick Mopane brush till the Waterbuck showed up to the natural water source. This animal was impressive in its toughness. It soaked up 3 shots with the 375 H&H to finally bring down.

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

Day Five - After the Cape most of these plains game animals are hunts of opportunity. We had seen a few Sow Warthogs with young ones but with the lion population hammering them we headed north on the conservancy. Was able to take this old boar with one shot. He had to be 12 years old and had one eye mauled by a lion or leopard. He was the perfect one to take at the end of his life span. His bottom teeth were worn to nubs and might have lasted the season.

IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

Day Six - We were on the hunt for the elusive Spotted Hyena. They are scavengers and are out moving early AM or late PM finding opportunity meals. Most of the time you have to bait them. We were skunked most of the day until just before sunset where we found this male scouting a recent lion kill. He was taken at 75 yards on the move.

IMG_1521.jpeg

Days 7 & 8 - These two days we spent mainly sight seeing. There were several things I spotted during my hunts that I wanted to revisit now that we had time and my list was mostly checked off.

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg

African Baobab Tree

IMG_1439.jpeg

Last edited:
Cont…..

Fever Tree has an interesting history…

The fever tree gets its common name from pioneers who believed that the tree caused fevers. In fact the fever was actually malaria which they caught from mosquitoes that bred in the swampy fever tree habitat.

IMG_1653.jpeg

San Bushman Cave Art

Sable you can see the white in its face

IMG_1663.jpeg

Buffalo

IMG_1619.jpeg

Buffalo and Elephant
IMG_1618.jpeg

Bushman with Bow and Arow and Buffalo cow and baby
IMG_1662.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for positive feedback. Here is a few more pics..

Giraffe is the lighthouse of Africa. Once they see you and they get on the move everything else is on alert. Same with the baboons in the trees.

IMG_1380.jpeg

Guess the tracks.

IMG_1432.jpeg

Ran out of tags for theses guys.

IMG_1603.jpeg

IMG_1615.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 9 - Last real full day of hunting. Last on the list was a mature male baboon with some large canines. A few of us in the group had a competition on who could bag the largest set of canines. While you see these guys near camps, on the roads and by water. When it’s time to take one they disappear. We tracked a “congress” haha go figure for 5 km through the thick acacia brush for over an hour. Finally got a shot on him and he was down.

IMG_1686.jpeg

2 inch cutters make these guys dangerous.

IMG_1690.jpeg

If you plan on a trip to Africa in the future don’t hesitate to PM me direct with questions. I learned a few things on this trip that I’d be happy to share with you. Biggest takeaway from Africa is the animals there have internal organs that are vastly different than the North American Continent.

I highly suggest these two books if you are planning a trip over. image.jpg

Day Six - We were on the hunt for the elusive Spotted Hyena. They are scavengers and are out moving early AM or late PM finding opportunity meals. Most of the time you have to bait them. We were skunked most of the day until just before sunset where we found this male scouting a recent lion kill. He was taken at 75 yards on the move.

View attachment 2395523
Man, those are some bad dudes right there. They got those bone crushing teeth!
Excellent picture TENTEX!

Man, those are some bad dudes right there. They got those bone crushing teeth!
Excellent picture TENTEX!
Yes you are correct. They eat a ton of bones. The only bones we saw left in our bush treks were the buffalo skull or pelvis maybe a giraffe leg bone. The hyena scat looks like puffy white marshmallows once it’s dried out from all the calcium. What I didn’t know was the native porcupine also consume the smaller bones to help them with the growth of their quills.

IMG_1848.jpeg

Yes you are correct. They eat a ton of bones. The only bones we saw left in our bush treks were the buffalo skull or pelvis maybe a giraffe leg bone. The hyena scat looks like puffy white marshmallows once it’s dried out from all the calcium. What I didn’t know was the native porcupine also consume the smaller bones to help them with the growth of their quills.

View attachment 2395872
Those quills are something else....
My daughter has a porcupine quill - we got one from a petting zoo. I don't ever wanna.be stuck with one 😆

Back