How long do diamond plates last?

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
8E57819E-AAFB-436E-B26C-82AD24812BC9.jpeg I think I got a good deal: two 6” Dia Sharps plus the wood box for $90. I read on the Ragweed Forge website Ragnar says he used a credit card sized diamond plate for like 12 years.

What I got today for $90 plus shipping is pictured above: two 6" Dia Sharps, the wooden box, and a rubber pad. The box has rubber feet on the bottom also. Each diasharp has two grits: one on each side for X-course, course, fine, X-fine.

When making knives, I like to set the original edge starting with the course side of an India Stone, then cleaning all the oil off the blade and moving on to diamond plates. Problem was my plates were much smaller than the ones pictured here. Another problem was that it is hard for me to resist buying new tools.

Was it a good deal? Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Almost forever, I think, for DMT, Eze-Lap, and Atoma. Those I used for sharpening chisels and plane irons were subject to heavy-pressure back and forth movements. Though they smoothed to touch, they never stopped cutting.

I have probably a dozen diamond plates and hones. The oldest are probably almost 20 years old and they still cut. They cut much slower and finer than a new plate but they still cut.

Our family has a hardware store with a sporting goods section. On the counter, there is a 6" DMT fine stone on display for anyone to sharpen their knives. It has been there since I was a kid and it still sharpens knives. I'm 40 now, so it's been there probably 25 years or more.

Well we have people on this forum who sharpen knives for a living and use DMT, and more so than either of us will in our lifetime so I would say outside of abusing it and using excessive pressure it will last a very long time.

I have some small dmt's for the aligner and they have not lasted very well at all. I have a 2x6 also that has worn to smooth in my opinion.

My DMT bench hones are close to three decades old and still work as good or better than new. I clean them with BreakFree CLP when they get loaded.

It is important to clean the plates routinely. Without excessive pressure when you sharpen, they will last a long time. I use the fine and extra-fine DMT plates the most. I still like my Norton India stone (coarse and fine) for softer steels. I'm not a sharpness freak. I like my knives sharp, but not obsessive about it which is why I use the DMT's mostly.

Some of my eze-laps have seen at least weekly use for 20+ years. I still use them.

How long do diamond plates last?
Hi
They last until you damage them,
too many PSI on steel (esp dry),
or wear them out (too many laps on ceramic/bricks/sharpening stones).

How many is that? They won't say ...

So keep it under 5PSI and use lube and you too can have it last 500 thousand passes :)

sharp-maker-cubic-boron-nitride- or diamonds - how-much-pressure.1577615/#post-18059151

vague vagueness https://www.dmtsharp.com/resources/dmt-faq/#how-long-should-the-diamond-last-on-a-sharpener
  • How long should the diamond last on a sharpener?
    It depends on how often you use it, if you use it properly, and if you keep it clean and properly stored. When used properly, kept clean and stored dry, DMT diamond sharpeners will last a very long time. They do not last forever, but they last for several years. If you use your sharpener as part of your daily work and use it many times a day, you will likely need to replace it in a few years after extraordinary service. If you use your sharpener to sharpen your kitchen knives every so often, chances are your sharpener will last ten or more years. Some of our customers report their DMT® sharpeners are still performing after twenty years of service!

update: see also https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lifespan-of-a-dmt-bench-stone.1624739/

Last edited:
Back