How long do you use a razor blade for?

I use the cheap little Gillette disposables (I'd rather put my money on a Sebbie than an expensive razor :p ). I get about 3 weeks use out of each since I only shave on Sunday (Church), Tuesday (Court) and Thursday (so I don't look like a dirt bag by Saturday afternoon).

My mach 3s seem to last 2 or 3 months before changing out. I usually change when the teflon strip (with the blue stripe) starts coming off of the head I used trac IIs for a really long time. I had one that lasted over 5 months . I rarely shave using shaving cream I always shave while showering and use oil of olay bath soap(lots of oils for lube)it seems to be better than most canned shaving creams,me and electrics have never gotten along.

Strange, I shave once or twice per week, and my Mach 3 usually only lasts about 3 weeks before changing.

I don't buy the blue strip thing, since my facial hair can be somewhat abrasive and rub that blue/green/whatever crap (lubricant?) off.

These things used to last me a long time, but either my face changed or I just have been unlucky in the QC area.

I shave every day. I get 8-10 days out of a blade. Thats with a brush colgate soap and a saftey razor. I can't use those machs. They rip me up.

KC Slim said:
I only get about 4 shaves from my mach 3 blades,but I just ordered some cryoed ones from greatrazors.com Hopefully It will extend blade life.

Please let us know how the cryoed blades work out. Since I made my original post in this thread I haven't gotten more then 5 days out of my mach III's :confused: I must have jinxed myself. :)

Shawn

I ordered some of the Cryo blades too and I am very pleased. I used to get about a week out of a Mach III blade if I was lucky - bearing in mind that Im shaving face and skull, 3-4 days was the norm though. Since I got the cryo blades I seem to use one for 3-4 weeks with no problem. It doesn't seem to affect the the green lube strip any but the blades stay sharp!

Hey gents

Well the offical answer, according to gillette here in the UK, is that you should use the blalde for no longer than a week (5-7 shaves) as after that the blade looses its edge & doent cut as cleanly hence you start to get skin nicks.. :eek:

Kris H

I bet the auto manufacturers would like us to buy a new vehicle every 30 days when the windshield gets dirty too , I rarely follow any recommended replacement advice, their job is to sell more of the product not to tell you how long it will work for you. That is your job to make that decision on the info available to you. IE nicks, burn, pulling more than cutting smooth.

I've got a fairly tough beard, and pretty sensitive skin. Was tossing the Mach 3 after about 5 shaves, on average. I probably could've gone 6 weeks on a blade, but by the start of Week 3 the results would've been seriously not pretty.

Currently, I'm shaving with a Dovo Bismarck straight razor.

Although I've heard plenty of complaints about the cost of the Mach 3, I never really worried about how many shaves I could get out of a razor blade. I mean, the local store would occasionally price the Mach 3 cartridges at 16 for $22.95. So that's... about $1.43 or so, each. Assuming I shave once per day, and get a mere 5 shaves out of each blade, that's around 28 cents/day.

Call me Bill Gates, but that's just not big enough money to matter all that much to me. Especially when the Mach 3 honestly did give me a good shave.

My current razor blade ... let me think ... that would be approx. 12 years. I do have to sharpen it each time, but hell, that's a part of fun. Yes - it is a straight razor and I think I got my money worth out of it. :D

Mach 3 user here... shave daily get 8-12 shaves per set of blades. Even then I'm not always happy with the job it does.

listen to all of us with TOUGH beards and sensitive skin!! :D

I usually get about four or five shaves out of a blade, but the gillette M3 seems to give a couple more. I also seem to get more when I don't shave regularly but that could be an illusion. I've heard about the ldea of 'resting' straight razors, though.

I was using the wilkinson sword FX diamond before and although it was good, one blade in every other pack would be unusable from the start.

I can tell if the blade needs replacing cause it feels wrong. If you don't feel anything wrong, or notice razor burn, keep using as long as you want. That said, I'd replcae the blade every couple of weeks for hygeine reasons.

Still, blades cost me about £80 per year so I've been thinking about switching to straight razors.

I typically get about two weeks from Gillette blades and that's shaving seven mornings/week plus three to four evenings/week before evening functions. One thing I have noticed though, when on trips to places with "hard" water, the cartridge doesn't last as long...about a third less I'd say.

I use Bump Fighter razors, designed for pseudofolliculitis. There's a thin metal spacer on top of the blade so that it cuts slightly away from the skin.
Since I discovered them 5 years ago, I can shave two days in a row without feeling like someone tried to sandpaper my chin off. :eek:
Each blade lasts 1-2 weeks.

I'm guessing a get about 6 weeks out of the Mach II's.., but that's just shaving around my bear, which obviously isn't a "real shave"...

Tough beard and sensitive skin and I can go anywhere from 2-3 weeks to a month or two. I've found that the new M-3 power blades shave closer and last longer. Usually the blades that come included with the razor work better than the refills.

I use a non soap based shave lotion from origins.com or aveeno shave gel.

I also notice that it varies from blade to blade. Some will last a lot longer than others.

I usually change the blade after it makes me bleed too often.

Neko2

Back