How long may my folding knife be in California?

A few Sundays ago I was at church, during the coffee social which followed the Mass. Some ladies were wrestling with a "full sheet cake." It was HUGE and all they had was what appeared to be maybe a 6-8" chef's knife.

A guy sitting at my table said "they don't have the right tool for the job", got up went to his vehicle and returned with an old US Military sword of some sort. It made very short work of the sheet cake and delighted the women struggling to cut it.

Folder or not, big blades, even BIG blades, have real applications...
Of course they do, or they wouldn't exist.
I'm just saying maybe consider trying to get by with a smaller knife if you're concerned.

Implicit is actually the opposite of explicit and explicit does not equate to express.
Well you're fine then counselor! Your argument is legally iron-clad, so carry what you wish without fear of successful prosecution . . . Not sure why you asked the question if you felt you had the answer?

Well you're fine then counselor! Your argument is legally iron-clad, so carry what you wish without fear of successful prosecution . . . Not sure why you asked the question if you felt you had the answer?

Perfect.đź‘Ź

Also, OP’s knife may be in California as long as it wants to be. It doesn’t need his permission.

I don't have the answer. That's why I asked the question. Obviously that fact escapes you. In any event there's no need to get all bent out of shape over it. Again from posting #1 for your edification:

"So the $10.00 question is does California expressly permit the carrying of any sized folder so long as it's folded-up when being carried? I can't find the exact penal code on line. All I can find is a bunch of lawyers' websites claiming that any length folding knife may be legally carried in California so long as it's closed."

Last edited:
I think that the discrepancy in the two city codes gives you a point to argue in court, but it’s a very weak one because the city clearly wanted more restrictions on blade length than was allowed by the State.

It’s rare in CA for a cop to just walk up to someone and search them for weapons.
Illegal weapons charges generally happen after something else bad happens and the weapon is discovered.

That means you could end up in a really bad situation in court - PARTICULARLY if you use your illegal weapon in self-defense, but even if it’s just found after some random altercation that you get dragged into.

Back