How many uses from the Walmart camping pad?

Hello all. I was just curious about how many pressings do you get on average from a Walmart camping pad?

The reason I ask is because I made two sheaths with my old press, using the WM pad, and I noticed that the second sheath wasn't as well defined, and definitely not as straight.

Is this something that should be changed each time? Thanks to all who reply!

Frank...

Define "Not as Straight ?

Sounds to me like it's Rolling on you ?

Your mileage will very with materials..Factors depend on several things...

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Frank...

Define "Not as Straight ?

Sounds to me like it's Rolling on you ?

Your mileage will very with materials..Factors depend on several things...

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Eric,

Thanks for the reply firstly. When I say not as straight, I mean that the impression that the knife makes is deeper on one side than the other, and also the "trailing edge" (the side opposite the crease on a fold over sheath) is bent to one side. The latter condition is fixed pretty easily with the hair drier, but the first condition can't be fixed without re-molding. Hope that clarifies what I mean.

Hey Frank..

That's what I thought...

It's "rolling"

As you apply pressure the knife is literally rolling edge down more than likely...

This is caused by a couple of different things..
If your mould is worn out,, or if you've got round handles...

If it's a cavity in the mould, then simply replace it...
If it's happening on a new mould,, then your knife is rolling,, probably because of the handles..
You have to sometimes hold it horizontal until you apply pressure to the mould...

The tip being pushed down to the other side of the plastic is probably due to uneven pressures.. Center your work more, or increase the footprint on your press to even out pressure...

Feel free to drop me a note if you have more specific question

Hope that helps

Eric
O/ST

Hmm....Thanks for the helpful reply! What you are saying about the rounded handles makes sense. The knife I had problems with was a Mora. Hard to find more rounded handles.

The first sheath I made in the press was for a Rough Rider fixed blade. When I took it out of the press, it left a pretty big cavity. Seems like, from what I read here, that I should get at least 5-6 pressings with a single pad.

I'll definitely check for rolling though. Sounds like that was probably what it was.

Do you use a camping pad in your press? If so, how often do you replace it? Do you try to put the knife in the same cavity left from the previous knife?

Thanks in advance for your reply sir!

Hey Frank...

What kind of pad you use makes a huge difference too..
As well as the amount of pressure you use...

I'm using a custom made 2 ton press,, so your mileage will vary...

Yaa if you are using a guardless Mora,,then she's gonna roll on you..
you have to hold it horizontal to your mould more than likely..
It will leave a cavity after time..One pressing shouldn't leave much of a mark...

However different factors will play into that..Mainly pressure, and type of pad you are using.... how hot your plastic is and how long you leave it in will also effect it...

5-6 pressings is pretty bad mileage to be quite honest...However type of knife will make a difference as well...

All depends on what I'm doing....
I get sometimes 20-30 sheaths All depending on what I'm doing and how much I'm paying attention...

I've forgotten a knife in the press for a few hours..The mould is pretty battered then,,and I'll only get a few sheaths off it...

On small folders I've gotten close to 100 pressings...

I press in this order..
Flat knives, small knives, med knives, large, then folders, and then other things like lighters ect ect...

Thats when I'm doing a run.... I always try to do a run if I can,, that way I've got some different knives to work with...

As well the more your mould is burnt out,, the more rolling you'll get the more you have to hold the knife horizontal...

It's hard to explain,, but I can look at my mould and know what it's still capable of doing....That comes with experience is all.... If you are pressing just for yourself and not in production,, you may not get to the point of being able to read them like that....

I've been using a new foam, because my suppliers were out of what I normally use, and I really don't like it...I'm use to what I like and know what I can get out of what I like...

also used the neoprene from knife kits and that stuff is pretty good..I've been told it's hard to burn out,, however I'm using part of one right now for a foot rest on my desk...I don't find it worth the cost or hassle to order,,however you may have Excellent luck with it.. worth a try for you....

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Back