How much abuse can a Busse take? Abuse stories wanted.

AdvantEDGE

Banned
Could any of you tell me some Busses abuse stories. I am thinking of getting a Busse 5 and it will be a work knife so I want to hear some Busse tales...

Thanks good thread, after reading on the forum I am sold on the Busse line!

Another convert...

My basic 5 has been dropped from 25 feet tip first into concrete many times.
It has chopped wrought iron.
I have done full force stabs with it into concrete.
My battle mistresses have been wedged into downed trees and used as prybars. I have pics of this and you can clearly see the blades flexing quite a bit. My friend was seriously trying to snap his but it just wasn't going to happen. I have chopped as hard as I can at every type of wood I have run across from florida to California, downing trees as big as 18" in diameter. It took about 45 minutes to limb, chop down, and cut the roots below ground level out of two, ten foot tall lemon trees. I could go on and on but they are tough. All I had to do was resharpen the metioned knives to fully restore them to shaving sharp.

Within days of getting my Basic 5, it had been used as a baton to split kindling (no big deal), pried apart a log that was partially rotted, stabbed repeatedly into a 2x4 torquing it out sideways, and limbed a small tree. You can tell I'd been reading Cliff's reviews.
Since then, the knife has endured more of the same, along with breaking bricks with the spine, digging up a few big rocks in the back yard, being used as a prybar to break banding material, open crates, and of course, dismantle pallets.
For ~15 months it has been my "go to" knife when I shouldn't be using a knife for the task at hand, my beater, and improvised prybar.
Before it's last sharpening, I was playing with it, and using it as a thrower (it actually throws pretty good) to see if it would damage the edge, which was now v-ground and much thinner than the factory bevel. It bit the dirt, and a few rocks several times (I said "pretty good"), along with being thrown forcfully into an oak tree-target was a big knot. The rolled places straightened out with a steel.
I have never seen it chip. It has had several dents and rolls, where the metal was displaced, but still there. The only time I've seen a section of edge broken off was the same night I broke the blade. It had been prying up boards, and sometimes the edge was against nails while I was prying. I think I mentioned in the other thread, that sometimes I would wedge the knives between the boards, and stomp on the handle to split them apart. Can't think of any other knives I could even imagine doing that to.
It survived far more abuse than I've given any knife, and I intentionally used it hard.
So it broke. I've broken wrenches, shovel, axe, and sledgehammer handles in use, bent prybars, and all kinds of other stuff. The Busse held up far beyond what I would have ever expected a knife to handle.

Other than a Rinaldi TTKK that I want, I have no desire to buy any more fixed blades except Busses-because hard use blades are the only niche that is not filled in my knife "accumulation", and I hope noone will hurt me for saying they're the #1 hard-use knives in the world:p

I was using my SHII in A-2 to chop some fire wood and on one swing I went through the wood and into the boulder I was using to hold up the wood. It "sliced" a chunk out of the rock and only slightly chipped the blade! Couple of passes on the ceramic and she was 100% again!
:)

Back