How much does it cost to start making knives?

Alright, I'm t the campus library. This thing is about the size of a football stadium and is four floors high but only has a single book on knifemaking, go figure. Anyways it's "Step-by-step knifemaking" by David Boye. That one anygood?

yes that is a good one to start with
if you look at the print date it's going back there some.
I got that book years ago and it has some intersting stuff in it.
he has changed from what he was doing then
but it is a good book to start out with or pick up some tips.

1977, yeah that's old. Too bad it doesn't have anything on folders. Know of any good ones that do? I plan on heading to the public library after school.

The money is nothing. A lack of good sense is all that is required. Actually, do as suggested, and use some files, a hacksaw, and a vise, and make one by hand to test your dedication level.

Originally posted by RARanney
The money is nothing. A lack of good sense is all that is required. Actually, do as suggested, and use some files, a hacksaw, and a vise, and make one by hand to test your dedication level.
:confused: you'er make me have 2nd thoughts:eek: :D :D

My first knifemaking setup was a hand drill, claw hammer, 2X48 hobby grinder from TKS and some belts and sandpaper. Never have built a kit knife, I always wanted to make my own. :) But kit knives do leave the "hard" part to do - that is to say, the part that makes the most difference. Spend some time hand rubbing a blade and you will certainly test your dedication! :D (By the way, there is a lot of advice here on that one topic. This place is the best "book" you'll ever find, and it too is free.)

I would recommend three basic power tools for anyone who really intends to make knife making a hobby: belt grinder, drill press and metal cutting band saw. You've had some indcation their costs; a "really good" grinder will set you back $2K but you can do just fine for under $400. You can get a perfectly fine drill press for less than $50 at Harbor Freight, and their metal cutting band saw is a steal at $150. That $150 was the best money I have ever spent on tools, bar none. The $30 you'll spend for a good blade for it is right up there too. Do not scrimp on band saw blades or belts; that's a false economy. Buy the best stuff you can, you'll be far ahead in the long run.

Videos are great too, you'll come away with a lot of new ideas even if you don't adopt the method presented. Besides the books mentioned, good how to books are Custom Knifemaking by Tim mcCreight, Wayne Goddard's The Wonder of Knifemaking, Ed Fowler's two Knife Talk books mix his unique philisophy with great advice. Check out Knife World for probably the best access to a lot of good books.

Guess that's all from me for a while. :D Enjoy, welcome, don't be shy. This is the best bunch of professionals you will ever meet anywhere.

Dave

Well, my mass comm class was boing as hell so, I spent nearly the entire hour and 15 minutes doodling knives. I came up with about 6 folders that I really like. Man, I can't wait to get started.

I had less than $1K worth of equipment that I used on the knives for my first feature article in Tac Knives....

Back