How much knife for hiking

rhino was unaware that one could get marzipan in loaf form.

iu
These forums change my life daily.

I saw a marzipan in an Aldi Store the last time I visited one of these a few years ago. The marzipan was German, I think, and it was really delicious. To be on topic, what kind of Spyderco can come close to the functionality, universality, and the mix of durability/toughness/robustness/slicing capabilities of the Douk Douk, if any?:)
Wait... I love Spyderco... and I also love older knives, especially ones designed from 1869-1929, like the Douk Douk, K55, all those, and those are like, one of my first-line EDC knives. But is this a serious question, what Spyderco is as durable or as slicy as a Douk-Douk?

A Chaparral? I got a dull Chap, and I thought it was sharp originally because of how slicy the profile was, it was working even though it was skipping off fingernail. A Manbug wharncliffe? Any thin ground blade with a good lock?

Wait... I love Spyderco... and I also love older knives, especially ones designed from 1869-1929, like the Douk Douk, K55, all those, and those are like, one of my first-line EDC knives. But is this a serious question, what Spyderco is as durable or as slicy as a Douk-Douk?

A Chaparral? I got a dull Chap, and I thought it was sharp originally because of how slicy the profile was, it was working even though it was skipping off fingernail. A Manbug wharncliffe? Any thin ground blade with a good lock?
Sooner or later I will have my first Spyderco and it will be a slip joint or a Chaparral, for now.

Sooner or later I will have my first Spyderco and it will be a slip joint or a Chaparral, for now.
I have a carbon fiber Chapparal and it is really, really nice, very thin blade that can cut even if dull, I thought it was sharp when I first got it even though it was not because it was so thin. The UKPK, Chicago, Squeak. are all good options. The 50/50 choil is really useful in their slipjoints, because you can put your finger there and effectively "lock" the knife with your finger, securing it and making it legal in places with nutty laws.

Why specifically a slippie or Chap, cause of where ya live?

I have a carbon fiber Chapparal and it is really, really nice, very thin blade that can cut even if dull, I thought it was sharp when I first got it even though it was not because it was so thin. The UKPK, Chicago, Squeak. are all good options. The 50/50 choil is really useful in their slipjoints, because you can put your finger there and effectively "lock" the knife with your finger, securing it and making it legal in places with nutty laws.

Why specifically a slippie or Chap, cause of where ya live?
It's Alaska, so I am fine. I just like slipjoints.

For some reason, with all the options we have available to us, it hit me that maybe something simple would work well, not best, and we tend to put too much thought into the selection process rather than just grabbing a couple of simple knives and heading out. I have enjoyed the simplicity of carrying my Buck 112 Slim, decent sharp edge and wondered if it and my basic Buck 102 Woodsman would be an effective combo, or my recently acquired used camo Delica, or a SA and a Mora?

For me, one fixed-blade and one multitool for hiking, camping, scouting, hunting, etc.

I take a Buck 119 or 124, along with a Leatherman Wave+ or Victorinox Huntsman.

The 124 is a recent purchase, but the 119 has been with me since I was 16 years old. Until I recently bought the 124, I’ve carried the 119 every day since I bought it. Over seven years, and hundreds of hiking/camping/hunting trips.

Here’s me when I was 17 years old, at the end of a 93 mile trans-Sierras hike. Buck 119 on my hip, as outlined.

lWEvfbT.jpg
aD6SlSn.jpg
KWCiAra.jpg

and here’s my 124:

nhBhORY.jpg

The combo of a good Buck fixed blade and a reliable multitool has never let me down. Name a camp/bushcraft task and my 119 has probably done it.

For me, one fixed-blade and one multitool for hiking, camping, scouting, hunting, etc.

I take a Buck 119 or 124, along with a Leatherman Wave+ or Victorinox Huntsman.

The 124 is a recent purchase, but the 119 has been with me since I was 16 years old. Until I recently bought the 124, I’ve carried the 119 every day since I bought it. Over seven years, and hundreds of hiking/camping/hunting trips.

Here’s me when I was 17 years old, at the end of a 93 mile trans-Sierras hike. Buck 119 on my hip, as outlined.

lWEvfbT.jpg
aD6SlSn.jpg
KWCiAra.jpg

and here’s my 124:

nhBhORY.jpg

The combo of a good Buck fixed blade and a reliable multitool has never let me down. Name a camp/bushcraft task and my 119 has probably done it.

Thanks for sharing, good companions that have not let you down.:thumbsup:

I guess my point is we need to get out there, with some thought about it but not overthinking it about which knife to grab for a hike or enjoying being out doors. I am not suggesting to be unprepared as it depends on a lot of things, but just a good basic knife will do you well.

For some reason, with all the options we have available to us, it hit me that maybe something simple would work well, not best, and we tend to put too much thought into the selection process rather than just grabbing a couple of simple knives and heading out. I have enjoyed the simplicity of carrying my Buck 112 Slim, decent sharp edge and wondered if it and my basic Buck 102 Woodsman would be an effective combo, or my recently acquired used camo Delica, or a SA and a Mora?
A Buck 112 slim would be great for a hike. Maybe not in winter or if you're likely to get inclement weather.

Price isn't really an issue for me happily.
how can you say this after saying:

You guys are buying some fancy knives! DLT, USA Made Blade, The Knife Connection, and National Knives did not carry what I was looking for, and nothing similar in my price range.

KnifeDepot too.

Thanks again. But I repeat that you guys are buying some fancy shit. I thought I was asking which hardware store to go to and you all pointed me toward Tiffany's. But I do appreciate it. If I'm ever in the market for a $200+ knife I'll know where to go.

Back