how much would you pay for a Sanford SG48 benchtop surface grinder

ashwinearl

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I found one for sale, looks good condition. I want one for slip joint making and fixed blades. I only make one or two at a time so manual speed isn't a problem. Basement shop is the driver for the small benchtop and their rarity.

How much are they asking?

How much are they asking?
$1200 obo
123625812_10158556809171131_7663769418450013820_o.jpg

Depending on what city you are in and the inventory/ availability of other grinders I’m thinking that’s a $500 grinder ... assuming everything moves freely and the motor is good.

but maybe a bench top is worth more to you.

I just recently got a surface grinder a little bigger than that for 400 canadian. 1200 seems pretty high.

The high price I'm sure is driven by the rarity of a bench-top
Sanford SG48
surface grinder. They are coveted in the hobby machinist forums. While it probably can't hold a candle to a the heavier larger surface grinders, for the small shop, especially basement shop the cute factor drives the price.

I'll be planning a big grinder purchase later in the year. The works, tilting base, small wheel attachment, big tool rest, and Surface grinder attachment was going to be on the list.

Those are neat machines for sure, but $1200 does seem a bit steep. I’d probably just roll that into a surface grinder attachment for that price. I’d offer $800 cash and see what they came back with.

Back