How often do you clean knife

I'm fairly new CRK owner ( LG seb 21, sm inkosi) and was wondering how often everyone tears theirs down and cleans and lubes.

Once a year, maybe. I’m sure many don’t ever and there’s are no ill effects.

Tools are included because the knife is a tool, and CRK has confidence in its customers and the knife itself. Not because it has to be frequently serviced.

Maybe once a year. Really no need to clean it every week or month unless it absolutely needs it.

Only when one has a gritty feeling or feels like it becomes more difficult to open or close.
Other than that, the only time I’ve taken one down is to change a lanyard, then I’ll go ahead and clean it.

Only when one has a gritty feeling or feels like it becomes more difficult to open or close.
Other than that, the only time I’ve taken one down is to change a lanyard, then I’ll go ahead and clean it.

I do the same.

By the look of the last one I bought around these parts they're not cleaned often enough.
I believe I could have cloned the last critter gutted with the amount of funky dna crusted in the pivot.
Cripes, make an effort before you sell these things...gross.:rolleyes::oops:

My small WC 21 seems to need more frequent cleaning than any other CRK (heck, more than any knife, period) that I own. It's frustrating because it will sit unused for months; then when I decide to carry it, the opening/closing sucks. I don't typically have time to disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble right then; so I grab another knife...usually forgetting about the WC until the next time I decide to grab it, a few months down the line. (That's where I am right now, lol - I was just opening and closing the darn thing, and put it on my list of things to do before morning.) It's not difficult to do; but I won't deny that I've been considering selling it because I don't like it enough to be okay with having to take it apart each time I decide to carry it. I still have a large 21 and a large inkosi; but neither of those do this...and they typically go longer between uses.

Same here. Lots of dried up crusty gunk in my pivot and threads...locktite? I actually think oil runs smoother than that flourinated grease they want you to use. Any one else use oil instead?

I've not had an issue with fluorinated grease on my larges (current, or past); but does seem to be the grease causing the problem with the small WC. Once I clean it, the action is good; and it seems to stay good as long as I'm doing something with it... it's the months of disuse that it doesn't like. Since I already had it out, I've used it a good bit tonight; and I'm not leaning quite as hard toward selling it at this moment... though I'm wondering if a small inkosi, or 31, might be a better option for me.

I haven't taken mine apart since I took the lanyard off day-one. It's been about 3 months. I do think the grease runs a bit dirtier than oil, but I think it works better since it stays in the pockets. I find it mostly to be a cosmetic issue as the grease works it's way to the tang and pivot. However, as a construction contractor, I understand the importance of and "pretty is as pretty does" nature of grease. Its globbed around the pivots of our skid steer and backhoe. It resembles old dried tree sap...however, it does its job of keeping the machine from seizing up.

I would say that with the nice PB washers, it's probably fine to run the knife dry. I just prefer the glassy action of the grease. The long and the short of it is that a properly cleaned and lubricated pivot could withstand a ton of abusive use before NEEDING to be cleaned. If I were going out into the wild with just my Inkosi as my primary cutting tool for a week, I wouldn't feel the need to pack my tools to service it. I'd make sure that the loctite was good, but worry about taking the knife apart to clean it wouldn't enter my mind.

I think I may take mine apart around the 6 month mark, mainly out of curiosity of how it's breaking in, but not because it will need it. I think about the drawer full of knives I have that dont come apart, and they are doing just fine after a decade plus of use.

A Q tip goes a long way. Many folks over grease. But if you remove all excess lube with the rag or q tip it will prevent build up down the line.

Once a year, maybe. I’m sure many don’t ever and there’s are no ill effects.

Tools are included because the knife is a tool, and CRK has confidence in its customers and the knife itself. Not because it has to be frequently serviced.

I would say this is accurate. I typically blow mine out with some compressed air for lint, etc. Not a huge concern.

Same here. Lots of dried up crusty gunk in my pivot and threads...locktite? I actually think oil runs smoother than that flourinated grease they want you to use. Any one else use oil instead?

There’s people that use oil and even a few that run dry. Personal preference. I like the grease, and often put some slightly thicker (GPL 206) grease in there to stiffen the action a bit on Sebenzas.

Maybe once every 3 years for my most used Insingo.

This year was twice as I reground it. But even then it was not a full cleaning.

My Inkosi Insingo will be part of my EDC rotation for 3 years this coming Blade and have never taken it apart.

every 4 months for my large 21,i don't no why its seems to get a little dirtier compared to my Inkosi , I use the same CRK grease in both maybe something to do with the washers! but glade I own both just the same.:thumbsup:

I just rinse in warm water with a little dish soap, rinse, blow dry, good to go. Use mine with food a lot, so I don't lube. Seems to work great dry. I try to rotate between about 6-7 CRK's just to enjoy the difference, "P", Reg. 21, UM, Inkosi etc. I do like taking them apart, but more for when I get a new(used) one in just to check....or just bored.

Back