Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

• Once every 2-3 months

• Twice a year or less

• Total voters
Just curious about this one. Obviously, there's going to be ALOT of variation between the type of knife, steel, and type of use. But I think it would give us all a little idea about where the "average" lies. Personally, I carry an S30V mnandi as my EDC, and probably it gets the most use opening letters and packages. I like to keep the blade "shaving sharp" at least which equates to a "once a month" touch-up. After you take the poll, please post the knife, steel, type of use, and that sort of thing. Also, I realize many of us carry more than one blade but try to stick to the "one" go-to knife for most of what you use a knife for. Thanks!

My present EDC is a Boye Dendritic 440C fixed blade. The amount it gets sharpened depends on what I am doing with it. There are times I cut down dozens of cardboard boxes and will sometimes have to do a little touch up part way through, then I will sharpen when I am done. Other times I can go a month without having to sharpen it.

My EDC today is a Spyderco Meerkat, Leatherman Wave and a Buck 701.
I like to touch up my blades on the weekend. Even if I could easily get by another week with it the way it is. It is easier to touch it up once a week then to let it go to the point of having to do a full sharpening job on it.

It's nice to have my EDC blade in tip top shape all the time :)

Originally posted by Keith Montgomery
My present EDC is a Boye Dendritic 440C fixed blade. ...

Keith how do you like the cast steel, I've had a Boye Prophet for about 6 years I love the knife for cuttin' rope and cardboard.

In regards to the question of sharpening frequency, I'm sharpening something everyday, with so many EDC's in daily rotation I'm sharpening a couple of times a day, just not the same knife.

Mighty Goat,
We're basic members, and we ain't got no vote!
But if I could, I would vote for once a week, on avarage, and that would likely be using a SAK, Buck 300 series, Old Timer stockman, or CRKT M-16.

Been meaning to get a paid membership, but never think to until polls come out, or I want to post a picture...

Originally posted by steve1701d
Mighty Goat,
We're basic members, and we ain't got no vote!
But if I could, I would vote for once a week, on avarage, and that would likely be using a SAK, Buck 300 series, Old Timer stockman, or CRKT M-16.

Been meaning to get a paid membership, but never think to until polls come out, or I want to post a picture...

Discrimination I say! :mad:

Heh... just kidding though. :D

Whenever it gets dull, or it gets damaged.
I usually sharpen the easier steels myself. The expensive pieces, like my Starmate, goes back to the factory to be resharpened.

Back