How rare?

A new old stock no box military classic has caught my eye, model 14R1J, black micarta handle, a very nice looking knife.. Seller is saying it's rare to find one. Looking for feedback before Making a commitment. Asking price is $350.00. It's a toss up between this and a older new Blackjack Model 7 Effingham with box, both coming out of a collection. Thanks...

I have one I bought in the later 1990's Ive carried a few times . My blade says 400 stainless I think 350 little high but I really never tried to but another.

Thanks for the reply. This R1 has the San Mai blade, so not certain if that justifies the $350 price tag.

The San Mai III versions were discontinued in 2013 ... 2012 MSRP for the San Mai III version was $390. I also think $350 is a little high for an non San Mai III version. Excellent knife, CS's homage to the Randall Model 1.

I have a Sanmai 14R1J (NIB) and I'd put a current value of $285-300 on it. Just my personal opinion. The VG1 core SM3s were made from 2006-2012. Not sure if there was an Aus8a core SM3 version or not before that, I just haven't seen any.
I haven't seen any of SM3 R1s selling recently. I've seen just one "400 series stainless" one go for around $200 in the last 6 months, so those aren't all that common anymore either. Those were made from much earlier at least early 90s. And there were "400" ones both made in Japan and in Taiwan. Then there are the ones after 1998 that were marked Aus8 and made in Japan.
I also used to have a Blackjack Model 7 and both that and the Cold Steet Military R1 are very well made knives.

Update.ust checked the bay and only one 14R1J listed asking $425 or B/O...so maybe $350 isn't as off the mark as I first thought.

Last edited:
Back