How to claim a name for your knife shop

If I want to create a name for my own knife making business or shop, how do I know that the name isn't already in use by another knifemaker? How do I go about making a name "mine"? Do you have to apply for a business licence? I really don't make enough knives at this point for it to be called a business, but I would still like a name to go by.

Last edited:
Somewhat depends on your location, state and/or country. Short of giving business, accounting, or legal advice.... If it were me, I'd start by creating an LLC for my company, and registering my company name with the state. To make sure the business name you want to use is unique, go online and visit your state's Department of Commerce. Most have a way to search the database of registrations.

Also depending on location, you may even be able to register a unique company name as a simple DBA (Doing Business As), under your own personal name as a sole proprietorship.

File a DBA in your city as already mentioned. But practically In todays world u can simply try googling the name u want to use.

You want to get a bare minimum business license set up for your city/state if for nothing else to write off the cost of supplies. Your local Chamber of Commerce should have all the guidance you need.

Here in CA if you want to sell anything you need a sellers permit and have to pay taxes on the sales.

As far as naming the shop, you can always get a trademark. The database will show if anyone has that trademark. A mentioned, ust a Google search will show if "Reichert Knives"( eg) is being used/registered or not.

If you plan on making and selling knives as a full time or major part time business, getting a local business license, tax setup with the State and forming an LLC is wise. If you are just going to make a few knives now and then and sell them to pay for materials and new equipment, it is considered as a hobby and you are probably fine in most states.

Be the first to use it, advertise the heck out of it so you're the one that gets recognized by that name.

I decided to initially take this advice and try to be the "first to use it". So until I can get myself an "official" registered name, I just picked one for which a google search, a Facebook search and an Instagram search brought up no matching results with. As far as I can tell I am the first one to use this specific name...Blackstar Custom Knives by Randy Reichert. My new mark is a hand scribed and etched rendering of a black star (solar eclipse). I went with this mark because the hand rendered look goes with the 18th-19th century look of my knives and I actually had a dream in which I saw an intense solar eclipse. I don't have a website yet, just set up on Facebook and Instagram for now.

20190917-182029.jpg

This is what I saw in my dream and what I drew the inspiration for my maker's mark from...

IMG-20190917-151602-879.jpg

Last edited:
I think the hardest part about naming a business is growing that business to a point that it actually justifies having a name. But usually by that time you have just settled on something and it’s now to late to change it.

In all honesty a name does not make a business, a business makes a name for its self. I had considered changing my name back when things started to pick up, but why. It’s what I have been known as for ever. Sure I could of come up with something catchy but we learned early on to spend time on things that add value. We are constantly looking at ways to streamline our processing and actually have a list of the processes that is sorted in order of the amount of time it takes. We invest money in the top items first and work down the list. Now in the knife world it’s highly recommend to have your actual name in the name. People in this day and age like to feel connected to makers not big business. So your name in the company’s name goes along way.

If your going legit you need to save every receipt, purchase, mileage exct. Taxes can really hit hard if you have not done your homework throughout the year. I never thought I would be the person to own a filing cabinet. But low and behold I have a monster one in the office.

Wow that was way off topic, sorry lol

I think the hardest part about naming a business is growing that business to a point that it actually justifies having a name. But usually by that time you have just settled on something and it’s now to late to change it.

In all honesty a name does not make a business, a business makes a name for its self. I had considered changing my name back when things started to pick up, but why. It’s what I have been known as for ever. Sure I could of come up with something catchy but we learned early on to spend time on things that add value. We are constantly looking at ways to streamline our processing and actually have a list of the processes that is sorted in order of the amount of time it takes. We invest money in the top items first and work down the list. Now in the knife world it’s highly recommend to have your actual name in the name. People in this day and age like to feel connected to makers not big business. So your name in the company’s name goes along way.

If your going legit you need to save every receipt, purchase, mileage exct. Taxes can really hit hard if you have not done your homework throughout the year. I never thought I would be the person to own a filing cabinet. But low and behold I have a monster one in the office.

Wow that was way off topic, sorry lol

Not at all. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

The new mark is working out beautifully. Super easy to do. I don't need stencils and the hand-rendered look goes well with my rustic looking knives. Because all of the outside "rays" on each star I do are a little different, I was able to compile several close-up images of each one to put into a gif animation. When you play the gif with all the individual star marks put together, the star looks like it's actually "twinkling". Hehe

20190918-091657.jpg

Last edited:
Back