1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How to clean up an old EDC traditional -- your personal preferences/routine

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by clockworkgator, Jun 9, 2019.

1. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the explanation, Alan. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I appreciated your before/after photos.

- GT

joeradza likes this.
  2. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    You're welcome, just passing along what others have helped me with. I'd prefer to go easy than over do it.

CasePeanut likes this.
  3. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    What a great thread. Picked up a 2013 Moore Maker Gunstock (6200GS) in Sambar Stag at our local feed store today. Still in the box, but the main blade had a little rust just above the edge, looks like someone's fingerprints. Had been there for 5 years, likely without ever being wiped or oiled. Flitz removed most of it, but there's still some surface staining. Doesn't look like it's gone through the finish, I can't feel any pitting. My normal SOP on a bicycle resto would be to use ultra-fine steel wool. Can I use that on a polished 1095 blade or will it scratch? Really nice little knife, this is one of the ones made by Queen. Can't wait to drop it in my pocket. Thanks.

4. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    My goal going into a rehab is to remove all repeat ALL rust and leave patina. I use very fine Emory paper - starting at 400 grit & work it up. Remove all nicks and dings from the bolsters and buff it up to like new. Lansky it up razor sharp & its fit for the pocket.

5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Just don't leave it too long.
    With rusty axes and hammers...ect a lot of people will use a vinegar soak and it removes all the patina and leaves the steel an ugly dull grey, that's just what happens in the the time it takes to remove that amount of rust .
    With a knife that's just got a little rust I can understand it if not left too long.

6. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Good point. I usually start with about 5-7 minutes. That's usually enough to remove the rust I showed in my pics. I'm far from an expert or even what I would call knowledgeable. I try to emulate the Hippocratic oath "do no harm."

7. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I use Flitz polish and time. Polish a few times a week, if it is surface only, it should go away.

8. cjtamu

Nov 6, 2018
    Thank you, sir. Have used Flitz on it a couple of times already. There's actually the tiniest spot of rust (size of a pinprick) on the spey blade that didn't come off, can feel some slight pitting. Going to pick up some Evaporust today and see if that will come off, and maybe try on the rust patine as well.

9. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    The thing to keep in mind, is that there is no such thing as removing a pit. You can only remove surrounding metal down to the level of the bottom of the pit. That's how abrasives "remove" scratches.

10. cjtamu

Nov 6, 2018
    Correct, thanks. I just want to be sure there's no rust left in the pit.