How to Cut my Finger Nails with a Knife?

I can never seem to find a pair of nail clippers, but I always have a knife. So how do I cut my finger nails with a knife?

Very Very carefully!

I grew up watching my grandfather do this. First time I tried it (as a little kid), I cut my self pretty good. It takes forever for nearly your entire finger nail to grow out. I cut it nearly to the cuticle through the nail. For months, the nail was hooking on everything as it grew out.

I trim mine now, occasionally, with the tiny pen blade of a traditional folder. Carefully.

Get a sharp blade, preferebly thin. Most folders work great for this, all you need to do is learn to have patience and keep your nail as far down on the blade as possible.

htxyxu.jpg

Hold the edge against the area indicated by the black arrow, then follow the red line and make sure you don't cut the flesh too, that hurts and bleeds. As you can see it you can leave just a little bit more nail on the ending side, this is to enable a second pass in the opposite direction so you don't accidentally mess up by trying to take too much on the first cut.

Once you're done with this, scrape along the edge of the nail with the knife's edge, then rub your nails against denim or similar fabric to get rid of the last burr.

Regardless of what tool you use, the trick is to soak your fingernails in warm water for a few minutes. After a shower is the perfect time, even just a good handwashing. A soak in warm water softens the nails so that they will cut easily and not crack and chip.

Sounds a lot like shaving, eh? Well, when you learn that hair and fingernails are made out of the same basic material, that makes perfect sense.

Hmm, I beleive my Opinel is perfect for this. I would think that having the edge facing towards me and using my thumb to push the nail into the blade is the best, most controllable method.

Thanks for the help folks.

I could, but why would I want to as my .99 cent nail clipper does a better job as it's quicker and safer. Of course I've also never felt a need to use a straight razor to shave either.

How about turning your finger nail side down so you can cut into/against something?

In my high school years, I'd occasionally trim my nails with a Victorinox Pocket Pal. Looking back, I'm surprised it was easy for me then as it was. I'd start from the side of the nail furthest from my face and cut upward, that way I could always see where the edge was, and where it was going. I'd use almost the same motion one might use when peeling a potato... I assuming you peel as slow and methodically as I do. :D

But now, clippers are just easier, don't leave as many little miniscule "corners" on my nails that I might have left with the knife if I was in a hurry.

Clippers work but they sure can launch shrapnel at others, and they're noisy. Pocket knife works better in a meeting, in church, sitting around a camp fire, etc.

Why don't you just go to the emergency room now, because at some point your going to need stitches.

Clippers work but they sure can launch shrapnel at others, and they're noisy. Pocket knife works better in a meeting, in church, sitting around a camp fire, etc.

I'm going to roll with neither of those being an appropriate venue for personal grooming. :/

meh, I just trimmed my nails today during a test...used the time to think about a particularly difficult question, during church is a great time to, keeps my hands busy, but that is only when I am sitting alone. worked great. I recommend a very sharp traditional slipjoint...not as scary to the sheeple.

Oh my God, is this seriously a thread regarding how to cut fingernails with a knife? :foot:

How about instead of risking cutting the tips of your fingers clean off you buy a small nail clipper and attach it to your edc keychain?

Come on people, it's just common sense. :rolleyes:

Oh my God, is this seriously a thread regarding how to cut fingernails with a knife? :foot:

How about instead of risking cutting the tips of your fingers clean off you buy a small nail clipper and attach it to your edc keychain?

Come on people, it's just common sense. :rolleyes:
Thank you.

I suggest using the blade.;)

I've used my knives when out and about, but the combination of a nail clipper and file is better. I just generally don't have one with me most places.
A knife is far better than biting your nails though.:thumbup:

ive never really get the chance to use a a knife or clippers because i use a belt grinder to trim mine while working on a knife or a wood project lol

^ LOL, I use the belt grinder at the shop to keep my nails under control as well.

If you MUST do this (why???) then a traditional knife with a small thin Pen or Coping blade will work best. But, you'll cut too much back, it will tear into the bloodline and be painful. Clippers/scissor and a file are the tools for this work!

Mind you, a small blade is useful for slicing rough skin or cuticle away, but that too usually ends in bloodshed:D:eek::barf:

Back