how to cut traction grooves into liners & scales?

Hi,

I have a production knife that I'd like to customize by adding traction grooves to. It's a standard G10 over steel liner setup.

I want to add them in the front guard area, and I'd like them to be the fatter, rounder kind like on the new generation Emersons, or the Striders.

Can I just put them in with a Dremel? What kind of attachment would I use? I'm guessing the cutoff wheel would make too thin a trough, so what would be better? How can I round off the peaks so it's not sharp?

Do I need to disassemble the knife and throw just the liners and scales into a vise, or can I do it while it's assembled?

Thanks,

-jon

Jon, I dont know how good of results you would get doing it freehand with a dremmel. Not steady enough. The only freehand method that works pretty good IMO is using a checkering file with a straight draw. It would create traction grooves nicely but the files are like $30.00 a piece thru Brownells and come in various thread depths.If you buy a file practice on some scrap metal to get the hang of it before using it on your knife. I would also dissasemble the knife it at all possible when you do it so only the parts you want grooves on get them. ;)

I use HSS Jewelers saws. 1-1/4" in diameter by .025 thick. I put the on a spindle and use it on a Tag mini mill. Very acurate that way. If you use it on hardened materials you will need to use carbide saws and they are pricey.

Mick Strider uses the edge of a Scotchbrite wheel. Others use Dremmels (not sure what attachment), although I bet it's hard to get the grooves nice and straight. Others use the edge of disk grinder.

Good luck...!

Dremel tool with small ball-burr bit. Don't worry about the lines being perfect, just go with what feels good and let it flow. Don't let the bit go too deep though.

If you have a drill press and a cross vise you can buy a 1/8" carbide endmill from MSC. Lay the knife on edge and slowly mill downwards. Cuts nice clean evenly spaced grooves. Clean up lightly with scotchbrite flapwheel.

Pete, that's a pretty sharp idea! See, I am geting smarter already, hanging out here this morning. I think that would be the easiest way, and uniform cuts.

Wow!

Really great suggestions. Thank you very much. One day I'll get myself a drill press, but right now I'm all about the cheap hand tool thang, being poor and all. ;)

I think I'll skip work early and head over to Home Depot and see what I can rouse up.

Thanks again. :)

-Jon

Back