How to fix lock stick

I have a gen 6 hinderer xm-183.5" wharncliffe that I bought brand new from DLT last week. It seems to have some lock stick going on and would like to know how to fix this issue. My other xm-18 dosnt do this so I'm wondering if I should send it back for replacement. 14 days no hassle returns. I want the knife but if it won't break in over time I have to send it back...soon. please help...

No, do not put grease on it. That will cause the lock bar to slip.
A pencil or graphite stick will help the lock stick. Don’t know if lock stick is common with Hinderer’s.

If it's just little harder than usual and makes a sound, it should break in. If it's hard enough that you have to change your grip or even use a second hand, in my experience you're gonna have to send it in. Maybe I've never had the patience for one like that. If it is like the former, a little sharpie and repetition ought to do the trick. Just mark it where you see engagement marks on the blade tang.

I've always used the "take apart and clean real well" approach. Then I'll color the the tang of the blade where the lockbar hits, with a pencil. I've tried a black Sharpie as well, but pencil has worked better for me. This will fix some of your lock stick issues, but not all of them. Some knives are galling where 2 dissimilar metals are contacting, and those are hard to get rid of the lock stick.

I've always used the "take apart and clean real well" approach. Then I'll color the the tang of the blade where the lockbar hits, with a pencil. I've tried a black Sharpie as well, but pencil has worked better for me. This will fix some of your lock stick issues, but not all of them. Some knives are galling where 2 dissimilar metals are contacting, and those are hard to get rid of the lock stick.
I've had lock stick go away after disassembly as well. That said, once you start taking things apart or marking the knife up with pencil/sharpie, you can't in good concise return that knife to a dealer C Cowboyfromhell666 .

No, do not put grease on it. That will cause the lock bar to slip.
A pencil or graphite stick will help the lock stick. Don’t know if lock stick is common with Hinderer’s.
Pencil will do the trick! Cheap, easy, effective! Just mark the interfaces and keep your knife.

If the lock stick is mild, I'd use the tricks suggested by far. Otherwise, I'd just return for an exchange as it is brand new.

I learned from experience that lock stick is an indication of a problem.

The problem could be a simple as dirt or oil on the lock faces. Or poor geometry. Or just needs to break/ settle in.

Take a q-tip with some alcohol on it and clean the blade tang.

Im against the graphite in the tang fix because its 1. Temporary. 2. Masks a problem. 3. Can cause lock slip.

Most times there’s some residue on the lock faces causing over lockup and thats the problem.

Start with cleaning. A full disassemble is best.

Graphite(pencil) or even a magic marker are the common tricks
both can be cleaned off with alcohol if you don't like the results

Not sure about the claims that lubrication on the tang/lock will cause lock slip. For example, Chris Reeve in his now lost Sebenza takedown instructions said to put some lube on the blade interface with the lock during reassembly. I’ve been doing it for years with no problem.

Pencil lead is just a bandaid. You’ll need to hire someone to carbidize it (if it’s titanium) or send it back for a replacement.

I've used anti-oxidant compound in my ZT 0562 and no lock stick for the past 4 months. It's available at Lowes for about $5.00 and you just need a small dab on the lock face. Apply it with a Q tip and then wipe off with a paper towel. You'll have enough for hundreds of knives with one tube.

Yes, first it should be clean, if not help - graphite pencil. And of course don’t lubricate the contact surface it making even worse.

Back