how to mantain a blade made from budget steel?

Krup 4116 from cold steel is also very good steel,used on their Chinese made blades,pretty good edge holding,easy to sharpen and stain resistant.Sanrenmu and some other manufacturers use it in some model,very good edc steel.Kudu by CS is copy of Okapi knife,too,better copy actually and most knife designers steal or borrow from one another at some point,so its pretty normal.then again this design dates back long time.Budget steel with good HT is suficcient for edc or whatever task.

Nope. Enjoy your short stay here if you've chosen to join and sing the praises of clone and other junk.

Dont be a steel snob

If you dont like ganzo thats up to you

But their d2 especially has been tested in both cut tests and hrc indepedantly

Maybe you should use the knives instead of pontificating on stuff you havent used

Most pple dont use their knives at all and do not sharpen them or just use them to cut paper or give them few swipes on sharpmaker or strop without actually apexing the knife,scared theyll scratch it.When you actually start using the knife then you see a lot of flaws in performance,design etc.Most knives are marketed for pple that do not actually use knives,period.Thick ,useless grinds,hyped up steels without optimal heat treat and some other stuff.

Dont be a steel snob

If you dont like ganzo thats up to you

But their d2 especially has been tested in both cut tests and hrc indepedantly

Maybe you should use the knives instead of pontificating on stuff you havent used
It's actually not up to me and it has nothing to do with snobbery.

If someone needs a reasonable affordable knife there are many choices without pushing clone garbage.

As for stuff like bubble pack no name brand knives from Walmart they don't meet the bar. You might as well go to a nice diner, order a steak, keep the knife and make a sheath out of cardboard. You'll have had dinner and you'll have a knife on par with those.

It's actually not up to me and it has nothing to do with snobbery.

If someone needs a reasonable affordable knife there are many choices without pushing clone garbage.

As for stuff like bubble pack no name brand knives from Walmart they don't meet the bar. You might as well go to a nice diner, order a steak, keep the knife and make a sheath out of cardboard. You'll have had dinner and you'll have a knife on par with those.

You can dislike ganzos all you want

But dont say you cant get em sharp and that they dont stay sharp, especially as you have never used one

And as everyone else here who actually has says they work fine

Thats all there is to it

How are we defining clone? Ganzo doesn't make forgeries (with false branding) but in the past they have made copies of Benchmade knives, usually in a slightly different size. However their newer Firebird knives appear to be original, only inspired by other designs as all knives are.

Incidentally I can understand being upset about the former but does that mean the company is forever blacklisted, even if they move away from that?

Last edited:
Copies of products and ideas have been with us since the dawn of the industrial revolution. If you can make a similar product of the same quality at a cheaper price then you have the advantage and gain market share.

This actually drives innovation as when you reach the natural equilibrium the only way to enter the market is to make a step change in technology.

you accept that different manufacturers make essentially the same product when it comes to something like diamond plates, honing oil etc. Why should this be different for knives?

examples of innovation that are easily recognisable could be the vacuum cleaner, pioneered by hoover and copied by everyone else until Dyson came along and developed a completely new concept. Of course that technology is now being copied and improved by everyone else.

as per the above post I am not referring to forgeries here...

Chinese steels with proper ht can be very good,and their quality overall has gotten better and better over the years.The ones i have all take killer edge and have pretty good heat treat,for bargain price.

You can dislike ganzos all you want

But dont say you cant get em sharp and that they dont stay sharp, especially as you have never used one

And as everyone else here who actually has says they work fine

Thats all there is to it
Ganzo made their bones stealing IP from solid American companies like Benchmade and Spyderco and selling clone and copy knives on Ebay and other sites.

You are allowed to have the opinion that they're gonna turn their lives around this weekend and be honest. You can even believe that that they may have stolen from other knife companies but they'd never rip off or deceive their loyal customers. They only rip off the other guys; never you.

But if you do happen to swallow that then I have got a real investment opportunity for you. Couple big name brand bridges for sale; lotta tourist traffic; lotta potential.

Ganzo made their bones stealing IP from solid American companies like Benchmade and Spyderco and selling clone and copy knives on Ebay and other sites.

You are allowed to have the opinion that they're gonna turn their lives around this weekend and be honest. You can even believe that that they may have stolen from other knife companies but they'd never rip off or deceive their loyal customers. They only rip off the other guys; never you.

But if you do happen to swallow that then I have got a real investment opportunity for you. Couple big name brand bridges for sale; lotta tourist traffic; lotta potential.

Oh dear are you pontificating again?

Maybe you should go out and try those knives before claiming they wont get sharp or stay sharp

Dislike ganzo all you want but dont say they wont get sharp

If you cant get them sharp its your skills that are the issue

As for "copying" i lost count at how many srk, sebenza, buck inspired copies there are or were from companies out there

And no it wasnt ganzo

Oh dear are you pontificating again?

Maybe you should go out and try those knives before claiming they wont get sharp or stay sharp

Dislike ganzo all you want but dont say they wont get sharp

If you cant get them sharp its your skills that are the issue

As for "copying" i lost count at how many srk, sebenza, buck inspired copies there are or were from companies out there

And no it wasnt ganzo
Ganzo, they passing the stealing onto you as savings!

Every few months a new user like you pops into a Ganzo thread out of nowhere to White Knight them.

You're allowed to decree you as the Pope of Ganzo have absolved them and in your opinion you like them. You're allowed your own opinion but you're not allowed your own facts. Fact is that Ganzo isn't trustworthy from the top down. Every piece of junk they can put out could have a fan on YouTube preaching how great it is but we know the truth here.

Ganzo, they passing the stealing onto you as savings!

Every few months a new user like you pops into a Ganzo thread out of nowhere to White Knight them.

You're allowed to decree you as the Pope of Ganzo have absolved them and in your opinion you like them. You're allowed your own opinion but you're not allowed your own facts. Fact is that Ganzo isn't trustworthy from the top down. Every piece of junk they can put out could have a fan on YouTube preaching how great it is but we know the truth here.

Oh dear

Saying you are wrong because you claim that you cant get and keep a ganzo sharp is being a .... White knight???

I think ganzo lives in yr head a bit there ...

Maybe you should actually try sharpening and using one before pontificating over and over again about how everything is their fault

The rest of us here who have actually used one know better

If you dont like a chinese ak47 because it copies the russian version, fine, but dont say they arent an effective reliable weapon, as many americans in vietnam found out

Same with ganzos

From what I've seen, Ganzo does make an inexpensive, good quality knife. My problem with them is they stole designs. China has a different view on things like that, even Sal Glesser said he had many of the workers thank him for coming up with great designs that they can make money from to feed their families. I still won't touch a clone, still won't touch a ganzo. No matter how good or how sharp I could get it.

Just my opinion. I'll stick with manufacturers who I know make excellent knives and have excellent warranties where I know I can get service if I need to.

Oh dear

Saying you are wrong because you claim that you cant get and keep a ganzo sharp is being a .... White knight???

I think ganzo lives in yr head a bit there ...

Maybe you should actually try sharpening and using one before pontificating over and over again about how everything is their fault

The rest of us here who have actually used one know better

If you dont like a chinese ak47 because it copies the russian version, fine, but dont say they arent an effective reliable weapon, as many americans in vietnam found out

Same with ganzos

You keep talking about me all you want. I have been given immunity from criticism.

I will continue to remind you Ganzo is not to be trusted. They steal from other companies and they steal from their customers. Believing somehow they won't rip you off is naive at best at worst it's because you're a company rep and your job is to show up here in the middle of nowhere and defend them. Allthough if you did work there I'd worry about you getting ripped off too since a leopard never changes it's spots.

I will remind you that their products are junk and not worth even the Alibaba #1 supplier price.

As one of the most counterfeited names in the business, and someone who actually knows knives- I'll tell you this:
Making a knife of the same pattern is not counterfeiting, nor is it stealing. It's been done by almost every manufacturer in every country.
To my knowledge, Ganzo has not made a counterfeit of any knife-and they make a pretty good knife for the money. I have one sitting on my desk.

As one of the most counterfeited names in the business, and someone who actually knows knives- I'll tell you this:
Making a knife of the same pattern is not counterfeiting, nor is it stealing. It's been done by almost every manufacturer in every country.
To my knowledge, Ganzo has not made a counterfeit of any knife-and they make a pretty good knife for the money. I have one sitting on my desk.

They've made almost exact copies of the spyderco pm2, except with an axis lock. Not a one to one counterfeit, but pretty close.

They've made almost exact copies of the spyderco pm2, except with an axis lock. Not a one to one counterfeit, but pretty close.

Schrade and many other companies made almost exact copies of the Buck 110.
I don’t see these companies vilified on the forum.

Last edited:
Back