How To How to modify 3v Point

Hi team, I just got a Bark River Bravo 1.25 LT in 3V and am wanting to give it slightly more of a drop point. How is best to do this? Sand paper? File? Diamond Stone? Thanks in advance

Diamond file.

Cheap on the Big River....

Clamp blade in vise, file.....dont stab yourself.

I've done it Many times.

It'll take you days to remove the metal with those tiny files. Plus, you'll need 4 of them.

Look at files that have a blade of 6 inches with 8 inches being better. 100 to 200 grit.

To remove the scratches left from the file. Use 3M wet and dry sandpaper. Using it wet. Either use some soapy water or WD40. Use a backing to the sandpaper. Grits in 220, 320, 400, 600.

Once you get to 600. Metal polish after that. Unless you wanna go higher. 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit. By 2000 for a mirror, metal polish. But if you want a satin finish. Stop at 600.

The bulk of the metal removal is the file. Finishing it off is the sandpaper.

Thanks but link doesn't work. Also bare in mind I'm tucked away in New Zealand, limited selection in most things down here.

I modified a bark river in cpm154 to a drop point once. A knife maker told me to use (which I did) a belt sander. I just hit it for a second or two on the belt then a nice dip in cool water to prevent any overheating. It worked nicely and I touched it up with some 600 grit by hand to make it look a bit smoother. Never had any issues that made me think I messed up the heat treat.

Luckily, being 3v the tempering Temps are much, much higher (550 degrees plus iirc) than most "simple steels" like 52100, 1095 etc so you don't have much risk of overheating the blade and ruining the ht.

I'd tell you to either use diamond files as suggested or preferably buy a small belt sander, order some high quality ceramic belts ranging from 60 to 240 grit or so to fit it and take it slow, dip the blade in some water when it starts to get uncomfortably warm to hold with your bare hands. Maybe finish off with some progressively higher grit wet dry paper by hand until you match the factory finish

Cheers, I don't have a belt sander but my diamond file just turned up. 120 and 300 grit. Then I have diamond stones going 360, 600,1200 so I think I'll do the reshaping with the 120 then work my way up til it looks like the standard finish.

Plan is to make the blade shape more like my favourite shape, the BRK bushcrafter.

Cheers, I don't have a belt sander but my diamond file just turned up. 120 and 300 grit. Then I have diamond stones going 360, 600,1200 so I think I'll do the reshaping with the 120 then work my way up til it looks like the standard finish.

Plan is to make the blade shape more like my favourite shape, the BRK bushcrafter.
You're probably going to want something more aggressive than 120. If you're doing It by hand maybe get some 36 or 60 grit wet/dry or ceramic sandpaper and make some sanding sticks from scrap wood/metal

Back