How To How to remove the residue from your disk sander, and keep it from happening again.

Joseph Bandeko

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ok so I did a little searching and couldn’t find anything that gives a good method for this, so I’m going to tell what has worked for me and how I do it.

Keep in mind I am talking about PSA backed disks.

When you pull your disk off if there’s residue (I’ve even had most of the sticky film layer stay on, if that happens remove as much as you can with your fingers) turn the disk sander/grinder on and spray a thin layer of WD40 on the spinning disk (to much and it will just come flying off) and take a rage or paper towel (you can also spray WD40 on the rage) and press it against the the disk, keep doing this (you might have to apply a little more WD40 a couple more times depending on how bad it is) until all the residue is gone, this process only take’s like 30 seconds.

Then, again spray just a little bit more WD40 on and wipe off the excess, you want just enough on there so that the new disk barely sticks to the sander/grinder. (Once you start using it the PSA will get a better grip)

After that it shouldn’t leave much residue (if at all) when you take it of again, but if it does just follow the above instructions.

The above method has worked very nicely for me and is much more effective then anything else I’ve tried, including different kinds of solvents and heat.

I got fed up changing disc paper so invest some $$$ in the Nielson Disc Change system.
Worth every penny. I have 5 discs and can swap out grits in seconds.

Which is great when you have to go from 120 grit to 400 grit a few times in a day

I got fed up changing disc paper so invest some $$$ in the Nielson Disc Change system.

Which is great when you have to go from 120 grit to 400 grit a few times in a day

Indeed! I converted an old, unused horizontal disc to vertical, set up a KMG base and worktable to the 1.5hp reversible DC VS motor, and then added a Nielsen system. I can add a second to Adam’s praise. Very good idea and Nielsen is easy to deal with.

Another option that works pretty well is to use 3M feathering adhesive. This allows one to use regular rhynowet paper instead of purchasing PSA pads.
Feather adhesive works ok, but you end up with a bunch of sheets curled up disc sheets that are not completely used and managing them is a hassle.

I use PSA and Rhynowet sheets. The PSA last far longer and the feather adhesive does make changing worn out sheets easy.

Yah but you still gotta replace the abrasive disk once in awhile 😉

Another option that works pretty well is to use 3M feathering adhesive. This allows one to use regular rhynowet paper instead of purchasing PSA pads.
I agree but Sandpaper doesn’t work for any disk sanders/grinders over 9”

You guys are using the wrong discs. I use the purple ceramic ones from 3M. No residue and they stay put. The adhesive comes off completely with the disc. I have used a bunch of other brands and they all do leave the residue and lots won't stick in the cold. No problems with the purple 3M ones. Course I only use 60 grit so you guys switching grits often, the Nielsen system is the way to go.

I’ve never had a problem with the psa backed discs. I get the purple ones from trugrit. 9000z maybe?

And I’ve used the feathering adhesive… yeah it works but that has to be one of the most amateur hobbyist ideas I’ve seen suggested here, next to - sharpening the edge with a worn belt….
I said it before - using feathering adhesive is like bobbing for French fries.

Ok, I’m done with my rant 😀

I’ve never had a problem with the psa backed discs. I get the purple ones from trugrit. 9000z maybe?

And I’ve used the feathering adhesive… yeah it works but that has to be one of the most amateur hobbyist ideas I’ve seen suggested here, next to - sharpening the edge with a worn belt….
I said it before - using feathering adhesive is like bobbing for French fries.

Ok, I’m done with my rant 😀
Since there is no such glue here , genius / that's me / I try glue used to catch mice , the one that never dries out .I used Zirconia 40 grit sandpaper /same as we use on grinders / . Then I turn disk sander / 2800rpm and 2hp motor / ON 🤣 Well , I'm still alive and I have a chance for other ingenious ideas 🤣 That thing flew so fast from disk that it would cut my arm if it hit me. It flew out thru shop door / the yard is about forty meters long / and hit the front door from the street .........

Tell that to Dave Lisch..... :rolleyes:
in fact it was another ABS MS that taught me about the rhynowet and adhesive on a disc sander...
just because he uses it, doesn't mean it's right for me or makes sense to me....
I can make my own judgement and have my own opinion.

just because he uses it, doesn't mean it's right for me or makes sense to me....
True enough.

I'm just pointing out to uninformed makers that your opinion insinuating that only "amateur hobbyists" do this is merely your opinion, with no basis in fact.

I got a disc a while ago (have not set it up yet) and wanted to order some of the 3M feathering adhesive. I remembered seeing it at Trugrit, and the website still has a picture of it for the adhesives category, but I could not find it anywhere on the site. So I called and was told that it was banned in California and they cannot sell it anymore. Somehow, I now want to try it even more...

I got a disc a while ago (have not set it up yet) and wanted to order some of the 3M feathering adhesive. I remembered seeing it at Trugrit, and the website still has a picture of it for the adhesives category, but I could not find it anywhere on the site. So I called and was told that it was banned in California and they cannot sell it anymore. Somehow, I now want to try it even more...
You can get it on Amazon too.

Back