How to repair decalcified antler grip?

Just noticed this on my Boker knife and fork set This part looks to not be a hard part and you can see in the pic the problem spot. I want to fill it with something smooth to prevent further deterioration. Suggestions on what to use?
u3pPgoS.jpg

X6vFRqJ.jpg

Hi P P.08 -Thin CA glue will fill the voids. Apply carefully, I use magnification. Overfill a tad, it sinks into the voids so might take a few applications. Carefully sand smooth after it dries, start at 220/320 grit wrapped around a flat stick and go up the grits from there.

ETA forgot to mention, you said a spot, I'd be inclined to go all the way around.

Last edited:
Hi P P.08 -Thin CA glue will fill the voids. Apply carefully, I use magnification. Overfill a tad, it sinks into the voids so might take a few applications. Carefully sand smooth after it dries, start at 220/320 grit wrapped around a flat stick and go up the grits from there.

ETA forgot to mention, you said a spot, I'd be inclined to go all the way around.
Yes, I will fill all the porous rears of bone. I have seen where you put talc as a filler and then super glue on top. It sinks in and becomes solid.

I have seen where you put talc as a filler and then super glue on top. It sinks in and becomes solid.
This is what I would do.
You can use all sort of powders as a filler with CA glue. I personally would use a powder with similar color or perhaps find a piece of antler and make a powder.
Check some Youtube videos how it's done to get a feeling.

That porous inner part is called pith. It’s always been week, they probably coated it and the coating is degrading. I agree about soaking in super glue

I do have an antler or two from past deer that I killed, but what about bone meal?

Could also probably use powdered lime (calcium carbonate) as a filler with either superglue or epoxy...

Your handle shouldn't deteriorate further. It has been like this since the knife was new.
I don't recommend super glue for this. A clear casting epoxy or polyester resin would hold up much better.

Super glue + baking soda is supposed to be pretty sweet for this kind of thing

Back