How to review a chef knife

Dear friends, when reviewing a new chef knife, from which aspects will you start your review? And except from the sharpness and design of a knife, what will u pay more attention to?

Fit and finish, choice of materials, tang construction, is it forged or stamped steel, bolster construction and balance.

I consider every detail to be either part of the design, or part of the execution of that design.

So when you exclude design, and sharpness (which is an important part of execution) that only leaves the other aspects of execution: fit, finish, quality of materials, quality of the steels heat treatment, quality of the steel’s grind.

Welcome.

Apparently you are going to write a kitchen knife review, so you must know the elements that make a kitchen knife work well.

So use it and talk about whether or not it has those elements.

Kinda how one reviews anything.

What language are you planning on writing the review in?

Well I'm not hugely concerned about sharpness out of the box, since I can improve that.
But besides what was said - how it cuts through taller, harder stuff like a winter squash. Does it crack a thick carrot or a melon?
Performance at the tip - make those cuts through an onion before dicing. Any wedging? A thin tip is great for performance.
Design is important - note if it there is a flat section at the heel. Some people are choppers or push cutters, they will favor a large flat spot. A combination of height and belly is great for rock choppers. Some knives can handle both, but that is usually a 240mm knife.
Design - grind also helps with food release. People with any blade speed will like that. People who don't will get sticking regardless.
Design - balance point. Some people like a forward balance, some like a neutral balance. In prolonged use, a forward balance can be tiring. But it does give power in cutting.
Fit and finish - are the corners and edges (not THE edge) relieved/chamfered, or are they rather sharp? This plays into comfort and usability.
Weight, metal, HRC, height at heel, thickness of spine at heel.

Off the top of my head.

People with large hands tend to prefer taller blades, regardless of grip.

Last edited:
How it fits and feels in my hand is the most important thing to me; the balance of the knife and the ergonomics.

Then it is how well the shape and grind of the blade facilitates cutting. The quality of the steel doesn't matter much to me, especially if it drives the cost of the knife out of sight.

FWIW, almost all of the knives in my kitchen are high carbon steel blades that stain and dull easily. I inherited most of them from my father who was a "sous chef" at well known restaurants and hotels in the SF Bay Area. I bought a high carbon LaSabtier chef knife on my own long ago that I also still use and enjoy. These knives dull easily but they also sharpen easily just using a steel rod.

On the other hand, I bought a couple of retail Wursthof S/S knives (a chef knife and a santoku) but they still look like new because I find myself just using my carbon steel knives instead.

Last edited:
Back