how to sharpen a spirit .

Just got my victorinox spirit and its great , i will write more about over the next few days after ive tried it out on a few things .What i would like to know is how to sharpen the blade , the plain edge part only has a bevel one side so could i sharpen it on a lansky just on that side . I dont have a lansky stone for serrated blades but i do have a gerber diomand sharpener, the one which looks like a pen with a pocket clip , would that be ok or should i get the lansky stone .I dont really want to change the blade in any way at the moment as ive only just got it .Cheers

Duncan

dunc5 said:
Just got my victorinox spirit and its great , i will write more about over the next few days after ive tried it out on a few things .What i would like to know is how to sharpen the blade , the plain edge part only has a bevel one side so could i sharpen it on a lansky just on that side . I dont have a lansky stone for serrated blades but i do have a gerber diomand sharpener, the one which looks like a pen with a pocket clip , would that be ok or should i get the lansky stone .I dont really want to change the blade in any way at the moment as ive only just got it .Cheers

Duncan

good! hey man, i had a question: does the spirit's pliers forced to open when u unfold the handles???(this happend on the older swisstools.... :mad: )

Any sharpener designed for use on serrated edges should work. I used my Sharpmaker without any trouble.

--Bob Q

ckl said:
good! hey man, i had a question: does the spirit's pliers forced to open when u unfold the handles???(this happend on the older swisstools.... :mad: )

Yes they are similar to the older one , they do click open and shut .you cant flick them open one handed .

dunc5 said:
Yes they are similar to the older one , they do click open and shut .you cant flick them open one handed .

oh, u mean the jaws will open when u open the handles??? if so, that can be bad for yr hand....

ckl said:
oh, u mean the jaws will open when u open the handles??? if so, that can be bad for yr hand....

Ok starting with the tool closed and the pliers not showing ... when you pull the handles apart the plier jaws stay closed right up to the fully open position.. then click in that position .

When closeing the handles the plier jaws remain open until the handles click shut with the pliers hidden .

hope this makes sense and it answers your question ,

Dunc

I used the sharpmaker on mine and it worked well. Any stone that has an edge/corner smaller than the serrations will work (I think they have these for the lansky).

You can use regular stones, and they will re-sharpen the points (which is usually where the most wear is anyway), but eventually (a long time), the serrations will become to shallow. [this will happen to some degree with a cornered stone also, but will take much longer, so it's usually not an issue]

The spindle/cone sharpeners will work also, but you need to do each and every tooth, which is tedious.

I didn't like the serrations on my Spirit, so they're gone now anyway... :p

I used a tapered, pen-type diamond sharpener on mine, but I was careless and scratched the hell out of my Spirit blade :grumpy: . Oh well, it's a tool.

I've decided that I don't like the blade much. I'm not a fan of serrated/combo blades, and I don't like that the Spirit blade is ground on one side only. I would like to replace it with the traditional SAK blade (like on the Swisstool). What would it take to do this? is this a possibility?

Foilist said:
I used a tapered, pen-type diamond sharpener on mine, but I was careless and scratched the hell out of my Spirit blade :grumpy: . Oh well, it's a tool.

I've decided that I don't like the blade much. I'm not a fan of serrated/combo blades, and I don't like that the Spirit blade is ground on one side only. I would like to replace it with the traditional SAK blade (like on the Swisstool). What would it take to do this? is this a possibility?

for safty reason, i like the rounded blade tip of the spirit.

well, we can never replace the implements in swisstool....excpet vic abandon the use of stupid pins for their contruction....damn victorinox!!!! :mad:

Foilist said:

Taking apart the tool would be tough. I ground off the serrations with a diamond stone and then created a standard V-bevel around 30 inclusive. Now it shaves and cuts as well as any SAK blade, the only differences being that it is a sheepsfoot, a bit shorter, and it locks :)

Back