How to stamp leather correctly

I've got a few new tools and supplies coming in the mail .
One of the new items is a stamp that I will put on my work from now on .
I just realised that I have no idea of the correct way to use that stamp .
Could someone give me a step by step tuition on how to do it correctly .

Thanks

Ken

Different stamps have different techniques, can you tell us which stamp it is? A picture or brand would help a lot.

The stamp you have shown is, in fact, a 3D. Generally these are used in a one impression situation, meaning you place it where you want it, strike it and you are through. This is unlike the many other types of stamps, for instance the basket weave where the same stamp is stuck repeatedly to form the pattern. These take some unique technique and some (a lot) of practice.

See some of Gary Graley's work for use of the 3D stamps.

Paul

Ah hah! That helps immensely! The 3D stamp is a two part tool, the base that has the imprint on it and the handle. There are two types of those handles as well, one is thin and the other is rather large but gives a more even impression.

These stamps are a bit difficult to master, you want to make them with one firm hit. The two piece design of these makes them want to bounce and a second hit almost always makes a double impression.

You need a heavy mallet or maul. If you dont have those, a dead blow hammer will work in a pinch. Dont use a rubber hammer as you'll double your bounce.

Hope this helps a little. If you still have questions dont hesitate! :)

only thing I want to add to the above responses ...

Wet the area of the leather you want to mark. Not soaked or saturated .. just wetted with a sponge.
Have a firm/solid/level area to place your piece to be marked.
Measure twice. Mark once and make it count. Striking it twice - usually - does not turn out nice.
Practice using it on some scraps ..

Good luck.

only thing I want to add to the above responses ...

Wet the area of the leather you want to mark. Not soaked or saturated .. just wetted with a sponge.

Ok , that's interesting because I assumed that the leather would need to be wet like when I'm forming it .
Thanks guys , I'll do some practice on some scraps first .

Very true, when its wet enough to form then it will act like a sponge and tend to go back to shape for the most part, making a not so well defined shape.

This is what that scrap leather is for, lotsa practice. I have done just this a lot. :)

Agreed, an Arbor press is the way to go for those unless you have a clicker. I have an extra 1 ton Arbor press laying around here you can have for shipping, weighs about 40 pounds though.

For that stamp an arbor press, if you have one, is ideal.

TF

Hi Ken, I just posted this in one of my tutorial threads also but wanted to provide an answer here too. With the 3D stamps, it can be a pain to get it to emboss cleanly, usually I'll carefully strike the stamp with it's handle and a heavy mallet, being careful not to let it bounce and strike towards the 4 corners of the globe to get a nice even embossing, but with that you can still get some minute shifting/bounce that will show up as not as crisp as you'd like. I tried the C clamp before but just a smaller one, picked up a larger one and that works great, depending on how far into your project you need to emboss, you may need a larger throated clamp to allow you to access the area.

Here are some shots of what I was doing this morning, a sheath I'm working on for a fellow has one of my favorite embossings, a Celtic circle/endless knot, here you can see the great detail even in the texture below the cords.

Using a small block of metal as an anvil, you might get away with some really hard wood, but I'd recommend an aluminum block.

embossing3.jpg

on a flat piece like a belt, you would have it setup like so

embossing1.jpg

here it is with the sheath I'm working on, you can see the block inserted under the leather, I'll carefully tighten it down, making sure it doesn't slide, and possibly will move it towards the clamp's edge to get it to emboss on that side a bit deeper, as it doesn't always emboss straight down. I recommend the screw end be on the bottom side, I think it helps because if you have the swivel on top of the stamp, it could twist itself off and screw you up, pun intended ;)

embossing2.jpg

the resulting embossing, the leather isn't dyed yet, I wiped down the entire piece with a very damp paper towel, not soaked but lightly damp

embossing4.jpg

and here's a couple more I tried this morning to see the detail it provides

embossing5.jpg

Now, you might also be able to do this with an arbor press, that's a bit more money and not as easy to move around, and, I've not tried that ;) but with the C clamp, you tighten down slowly, let it sink in, then tighten slightly more and let it set and then remove it. BE CAREFUL not to over tighten especially if you are using thin leather, as you can cut through the leather! and possibly damage your embossing stamp!!

If your leather is TOO thick and TOO soft, you might also see the corner of your embossing stamp outlined on the leather, you would need to use a bone folder to smooth that impression out, just how it goes, but that will tell you that your leather might not be as firm as you should have.

Hope that is clear and helps you guys and gals with the 3D embossing method I'm starting to use from today on.
G2

Edited to add:
a tip on C clamps though, a small one you can EASILY bend the rod if you over tighten, but the larger C clamps are a bit more rugged, but again, I'll stress don't try to be superman when you go to tightening down the C clamp for two reasons;
1. you might end up shifting the entire embossing stamp by your attempt to over power it
2. you might end up cutting through your leather and harming your embossing stamp and of course, tossing your hard work down the tube !

I think the C clamp is probably the way to go, as most vices you have to screw around holding things in place while you try to tighten it down, with the C clamp the work can rest on the cutting board allowing you some measure of control.

Same method would work on folded sheaths too, you'll just need to open your work up and insert the metal block so you can clamp down the embossing stamp, just be careful before you open the work up, I would dampen the sheath, then by hand press the embossing stamp where you want it to be, because when you open up a folded sheath, you can lose track of where it should go, the light pressure will leave a mark to help guide you. Also, DO NOT put the metal block on top of the back side of the sheath, otherwise you could mess up the other side of the sheath, so just be sure the metal block is resting on the cutting board and the leather on top of the block.

G2

Last edited:
I like the C clamp idea. :) simple and effective.

I have a small bench vise but it sits sideways, I keep eyeballing it though. :p

Gary,

Once again you have just made my world a better more simple place .
This couldn't have come at a better time .
Yesterday I annoyingly stamped my lastest sheath fractionally sideways of where I wanted it , and it will detract from an otherwise very nice sheath that I'm proud of .
I will absolutely try this clamp method .

Thanks

Ken

You're most welcome Ken, as they say, they're more than one way to skin a cat, which on face value sounds weird ;) but means there are many ways to get to the end, some projects might not be able to be reached by the C clamp, but I think most can. As to the regular detail stamp tools, those are not as difficult to get an impression, but they bring their own problems in keeping the pattern straight, our friend Paul Long and Sandy are both really really good at that!!! I don't know if they mark a line to help keep things lined up, or by now they don't need such an aid and can just about do it blind folded! They are really really good, hmm already said that but it bears repeating ;)
G2

Gary posted his method that I had seen before. I later went to an arbor press from Harbor freight simply because it was a bit simpler. The result is the same and c-clamps are cheaper for most hobbiest's

I modified mine to hold my tooling for snaps as well - so it made sense.

Great post again G2.

TF

Thanks TF, I am in the midst of relocating soon, a new home, much smaller but it has a basement! so I'll have a real shop, instead of messing up our kitchen table! If we get the house we're looking at I think I'll also invest in an arbor for a couple things, the snaps is a great idea too!

as to embossing stamps, one KEY thing to keep in mind, some do not have a distinctive top or bottom to them, so as I've made mention, I stamp and after applying dye the leather can swell up and make the embossing not as crisp as originally made, so I'll carefully place the stamp back on the area and lightly strike again, BUT on some stamps I really need to keep track of which end was UP when I first made it!!! that can be pretty important, most tools have a part number on the handle, so I've taken to make sure the number always faces me when I do any stamping. Here's one I just did on a sheath for my small Case Peanut, the embossing is nice and crisp and there is a subtle difference from top to bottom so if I wasn't careful it might have mucked up the embossed emblem.

Peanut8.jpg

G2

Gary,

Remind me when you get ready for that arbor. With a little modification you can allow it to fit all of your hand tools from Tandy to make for an inexpensive arbor press for snaps, rivets, and eyelets if you use them.

I can give you measurements and directions. Makes for a VERY inexpensive press that has many purposes.

TF

Thanks sir, I'll definitely do that!
G2

Back