How to storage wood for scale

Today I received from friend some walnut for scale .There are some beautiful pieces for scale . The problem is that it will take me several years to use them and I know nothing about how to keep them in this condition they are now :) I will be very grateful if someone tell me how to store them? I'm most afraid of bending ......
Thanks for any help :thumbsup:
pwTUEtB.jpg

XmyCck5.jpg

It looks like they were cut rather thin. Thats not ideal, as you will have bending and cracking during drying.

The most important step is to limit moisture loss through the end grain. You can use a commercial product like anchor seal, or you can paint the ends with latex pain or dip them in wax.

The next step is called stacking and stickering. https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/how-to-succeed-at-air-drying-lumber This is a pretty good guide. You want the wood covered from rain and direct sunlight, but so that the wind can blow through it. You need airflow to dry wood well.

Depending on where you are, if you want to ship me a small piece of the wood I have a pinless moisture meter and could give you a moisture reading to tell you how long to dry it. Otherwise I think about 8 - 10 months should be good for walnut of that thickness.

@ Greenberg Woods , sorry I did not mention they were already dry :( My friend live in another town and work with wood ,he told my that wood scale a ready for use ..............Thanks for offer , but I m on another side of pond :thumbsup: So , what you suggest in this case to do ?

I would just find a place in the shop to put them stacked just like they are now. Somewhere not in direct sunlight. No need to paint the ends.

I would set them in a big plastic storage bin. That way they stay dry, clean, and you can find them when you want them.

Last edited:
Thanks for advice guys ! Now I must finish knife for my generous friend :) Choosing the best scale from this one he gave me ;)

It looks like they were cut rather thin. Thats not ideal, as you will have bending and cracking during drying.

The most important step is to limit moisture loss through the end grain. You can use a commercial product like anchor seal, or you can paint the ends with latex pain or dip them in wax.

The next step is called stacking and stickering. https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/how-to-succeed-at-air-drying-lumber This is a pretty good guide. You want the wood covered from rain and direct sunlight, but so that the wind can blow through it. You need airflow to dry wood well.

Depending on where you are, if you want to ship me a small piece of the wood I have a pinless moisture meter and could give you a moisture reading to tell you how long to dry it. Otherwise I think about 8 - 10 months should be good for walnut of that thickness.
Thanks for this advice :thumbsup: It's good to know all this before I cut this walnut :)
KKpE1TY.jpg

how dry are they ? i had a few sets of scales peel and warp off my tangs back in the day. if they are too dry or wet the wood will expand or contract/shift. i bought a $30 moisture meter from woodcraft and it has not happened since. they should be between 5-8% moisture. i learned this from cabinet makers.

You can get a rubbermade plastic bin at walmart for about $10.
I would rubberband the individual sets together. Then stand them on edge in the bin and put on the lid.
If the plastic fogs there is still moisture so remove the lid.
Otherwise just keep the bin out of direct sunlight.

Thanks for advice guys ! Now I must finish knife for my generous friend :) Choosing the best scale from this one he gave me ;)
I hope that my friend will like knife I make for him ............... Thanks again for advice about how to storage this walnut :thumbsup: There was some great piece for scale .....:)
3mm HSS steel , pinned copper pins , 0.2mm behind edge ,18 DPS ,sharp as laser .......... It will cut !!
wG9cMwx.jpg

T9J6Dvq.jpg

Since the first post is with wood already cut to scale thickness not much can be done there. For the big walnut tree you've got, I'd cut those into block sizes for drying. perhaps 2"X3"X5 (or 6")? BTW, since you're in Macedonia, what type of walnut is that you have? It's not American Black Walnut which is about the only Walnut I'm very familiar with. You're going to have a lifetime supply of beautiful wood!

"..... You can get a rubbermade plastic bin at walmart for about $10. ...."

Natlek doesn't have Rubbermaid or Walmart in Macedonia.

"..... You can get a rubbermade plastic bin at walmart for about $10. ...."

Natlek doesn't have Rubbermaid or Walmart in Macedonia.
:)

But I have friend in USA who very often fly to Macedonia ;) For now I use big plastic bin for food storage in fridge ............ Is it OK ? I chose the most beautiful parts and cut in proper length for scale . I use thick rubber ring cut from inner rubber for cross bike to clamped several scale together , is it OK ?

Since the first post is with wood already cut to scale thickness not much can be done there. For the big walnut tree you've got, I'd cut those into block sizes for drying. perhaps 2"X3"X5 (or 6")? BTW, since you're in Macedonia, what type of walnut is that you have? It's not American Black Walnut which is about the only Walnut I'm very familiar with. You're going to have a lifetime supply of beautiful wood!
I will ask my friend tomorrow from which walnut is already cut to scale thickness walnut .For now all I know is that it is root from walnut ... Big walnut is from around , local wood . And it was beautiful wood too .

Back