how-to take awesome digital pics of your knives?

i have a few knives i would like to share with u all, but my picture taking skills are lacking. is there a few hints out there that will help me take better pics with a digital camera. some of the pics i have seen on this site are amazing and i would like to try and post a few or link anyways. i have an olympus c4000 camera that seems to take nice pics, but nothing compared to some on this site.

any helpful tips out there?

edited: bad pics removed and replaced w/better pic

http://www.usualsuspectsclan.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/my sebbies.jpg

Start by working on focus. You probably need a tripod. Fortunately, digital cameras tend to be small and light weight, so you won't need a heavy, expensive tripod. I got mine at K-Mart for less than $50. It's not a great tripod, but it works well for me.

There is no substitute for experience and trial-and-error when it comes to taking knife pictures. Fortunately, digital cameras make that cheap and easy.

Sorry about that, wasn't paying enough attention :footinmou

And as to your question, its 90% lighting! The easiest lighting to use, when available is natural outdoor lighting. But if you shoot inside try having at least two light sources. It'll help the details on your knife (like the damascus on the Sebbie). Also, some good photo editing software will definitely make a major difference.

Lighting & a tripod! Do not use your flash, but instead dissable it. Best results with manual settings, but auto should also work... Set your camera to Macro mode and make sure to focus properly. Then have some good lighting and you should be able to get great pictures.

Jorgen

BurkStar said:
You need to take those USN links out of your post as there's no cross forum linking.

Try rubbing your eyes Burk, those don't point to, or have anyting to do with the USN. :p

Please do not take this as any discouragement from trying to take better pictures.

But as with most things in this life - good photography is an acquired skill and art - good photographers worked at their skill and art - for most it takes time and lots and lots of practice. Good equipment can help - but cannot turn one into an instant expert.

However one may be able to get passable images which are probably technically "proficient" - without too much skill or effort (this does seem like a contradiction of the above).............

By using a simple flatbed scanner - please take a look at this post:

some general flatbed Scanners advice

sample of a scanned knife -
Engnath_Tanto.jpg

Hope this helps.

--
Vincent

http://unknownvincent.cjb.net/
http://unknownvt.cjb.net/

I'm just learning myself. Picked up a Nikon 4300 in February and have enjoyed starting to take pictures...lots of pictures! The picture attached is among the first ... and still among my personal favorites! The .40 caliber hollowpoint was dug out of a tree stump (with a SOG Tomcat) after a day of shooting. :)

Attachments

• hollowpoint_40.jpg
    hollowpoint_40.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 153
I use tripoid, manual settings, sunlight and big pice of wight paper (target) to reflect sunlight to avoid black shadows. Neutral background usually better, because it does not take attention from main subject - knife. It may be fabric, I use my sweater. After picture done you may process it with Adobe Photoshop or something to improve contrast and brightness.

Nce knives by the way!

Thanks, Vassili.

When I use a scanner I like to lay a folded blanket or towel over the item that I am scanning instead of a lid. It provides an interesting textured and colored background as well as controlling light leakage and reflection.

One of the oldest tips for taking pictures and being able to reproduce the great ones, keep a log book of your settings, and lighting. This weorks for digital photos best because you don't have to wait for results.

Read the owners manual for your camera it'll tell you how to address common photo errors, like back lighting exposure compensation.

Take a summer college photography class, buy a book, read Pendentives tutorial as mentioned above.

Last but not least, practice, practice, practice.

To add to what others have said:

Check your local libraries for book son digital photography. I found a GREAT one; it seems to have been written just for me! Books will tell you all about lighting and what the settings on cameras do, as well as general photography tips and pic editing.

well i tinkered abit and took some pics, thank god for digital pics and computers or a fortune would be spent on film developing...

i guess experimentation is best, but i wish lighting was a constant...maybe i can come up with some unique knife studio...lol

what light is best?

borrowed a couple friends digital cameras at work... boy what a difference there is between brands and quality... i like my olympus :)

I'm no expert but I've improved alot from trial and error. Good equipment and good editing software is a must.
Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions,,I'll be glad to help you.

by the way..the knife pictured is sold. :p

Back