How to take close up macro pictures & videos with your cell phone

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I though some here may find this useful, how to take close up pictures and video using your phone (method I use to examine edges). This is a cheaper alternative to buying a USB microscope or macro lens/attachemnts since many of you already have a loupe, overall seems to produce very good/clear images and videos.

Couple pics from same setup, this is an Endura 4 in hap40 I just recently sharpened:

PafQp1ch.jpg

Xvy90Nlh.jpg

Last edited:
I though some here may find this useful, how to take close up pictures and video using your phone (method I use to examine edges). This is a cheaper alternative to buying a USB microscope or macro lens/attachemnts since many of you already have a loupe, overall seems to produce very good/clear images and videos.

Couple pics from same setup, this is an Endura 4 in hap40 I just recently sharpened:

PafQp1ch.jpg

Xvy90Nlh.jpg
Thanks for the info, i just tried it, i cannot get a clear a picture as you can, but i will work on it. Good standby to have. I have a cheap hand held LED light micro-scope, it has been a huge help in my sharpening, especially for fine wire edges. But like your idea, thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, i just tried it, i cannot get a clear a picture as you can, but i will work on it. Good standby to have. I have a cheap hand held LED light micro-scope, it has been a huge help in my sharpening, especially for fine wire edges. But like your idea, thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Hey you bet. On my setup lighting really seems to make a big difference, sunlight seems to work the best.

Hey you bet. On my setup lighting really seems to make a big difference, sunlight seems to work the best.

On everyone's setup. The world's best magnification is nothing without lighting. I too am fond of sunlight. My mission is to take the detailed information I get from my real microscope and figure out how to get the same information with just a loupe, or my Optivisor. So far the answer seems to be to put the edge in sunlight and move the bevel around to catch all the angles. It tells you a lot.

On everyone's setup. The world's best magnification is nothing without lighting. I too am fond of sunlight. My mission is to take the detailed information I get from my real microscope and figure out how to get the same information with just a loupe, or my Optivisor. So far the answer seems to be to put the edge in sunlight and move the bevel around to catch all the angles. It tells you a lot.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PafQp1ch.jpg

Xvy90Nlh.jpg
Good looking edge, very clean work

Back