How to use Folding Trekking Poles

Do you know how to use Folding Trekking Poles?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
Trekking pole has the effect of assisting walking and relieving the strain on muscles and bones. If you do not use it properly, you will not be able to achieve sufficient effects, so let's understand how to use it. Using folding trekking poles reduces up to a quarter of the impact that joints can suffer, especially the knees. Don't forget that in the bush you usually carry loads (backpack, drink, basket, etc.)

Folding walking poles also help improve stability and balance, reducing possible slipping. Although it is tough to handle, especially at first, once you get used to it you will not go out into the bush without them. Using folding hiking poles, whether it is one of the most modern artisanal poles or ultra-light aluminum, also involves picking the model that is most suitable for us. Mainly the height of the cane and its adjustment and fixation

Why use Trekking Poles?
Trekking poles greatly improve your stability and lessen the pressure on your knees. Folding trekking poles are adjustable in length and some even have internal shock-absorbing springs to further reduce impact. Using walking sticks, therefore, has many advantages both to relieve your body and to achieve efficiency and performance.

Ø Technical Advantages
Pair of folding hiking poles allow you to double your support points on the ground, going from two (feet) to four, thus providing enhanced balance and stability. Therefore, it reduces the risk of falls or injuries on the slop or elevation caused by a slip or dangerous support.

Moreover, your sticks will be very useful for crossing an obstacle across your path (trees, rocks) or even to compensate you in delicate passages where natural conditions are difficult like snow, ice, mud or sand

Ø Physical benefits
The sticks decrease the pressure on your joints and prevent joint pain while hiking. They allow you to better distribute the weight of your backpack and less force when going downhill or overhanging. By limiting the weight and impact at each step, they are a valuable element of comfort for the duration of your hike.

Thanks to the sticks, the upper part of your body not only makes it possible to find a faster movement without additional effort but also to better control your breathing.

How folding trekking poles should be adjusted?
Many mushroom pickers use traditional walking sticks but this type of cane has the disadvantage that it cannot be folded or adjusted in height. They are also somewhat heavier than the new aluminum poles and are less comfortable for long walks. But they have the advantage of durability and resistance.

Folding walking poles on the other hand are adjustable to support different heights, depending on the size of the hiker, or the slope that the hiker has to bear. This fastening system can be of various types including threaded, clips, or snap.

It is important that this fixation is locked enough for the folding hiking poles to remain fixed. All these fixings are manipulated manually, without using external tools that can damage the sections of the cane. It is suggested not to exceed the top line of each cane model because it could break while you are using them.

Posture to use folding walking poles
As for the correct posture, the position of the forearm that the hiking stick will use to the body must be perpendicular. We must modify this position slightly depending on the terrain in which we are walking (flat, slope).

We recommend that when walking you keep your body straight and perpendicular to the ground. You will better balance the effort between your legs and arms and keep your rib cage open. You will maintain a better rhythm and breathe better when walking.

Techniques for using hiking poles
As we have discussed, the position of each pole will vary depending on the surface. We indicate different possibilities and how to use them in each one:

Flat land
If what we want is to quicken the rhythm, we will use the poles alternately and moving them at the same time as your opposite leg. That is, the right pole will move jointly to the left leg.If it is not required to accelerate the route, we can also fold the poles and store them in the backpack, to unload the arms from use. We will use them again when the ground demands it.

Descents
If the descent is very steep, we can use the 2 folding hiking poles at the same time and place them right in front of you, without limiting the movement of the feet. This will slow down the speed and gain balance. If the descent is not very steep, we can use the poles as in flat land. In both cases, increasing the length of the poles between 5 and 8 cm will help to make the slope more comfortable.

Elevation
In these cases, it is the opposite of the descents, and it is recommended to lengthen the hiking poles between 5-8 cm always depending on the descent slope and size of the hiker so that it could be easy for you to climb with your backpack. As you climb, you can use the poles to lean on and move.

What is the purpose of restraint straps on trekking poles?
In addition to allowing a safer grip on the folding walking poles, they allow you better momentum if you lean on them while you walk, mainly on slopes. By relieving the hand they also reduce fatigue.

If you are doing a descent, it is suggested to remove the strap from the hiking pole, to prevent you from getting caught with the poles in a possible fall. By not wearing them, you can separate them and use your hands to cushion the blow

How many folding trekking poles are recommended to use, 1 or 2?
When looking for mushrooms it is advisable to use a single hiking stick. You can change it regularly. We will also need the other hand to carry our bucket. We can also use the stick to remove branches that bother us.

If we are going to take a short walk and through the simple and flat surface, with a single cane we will have enough. But if we are going hiking, using two folding walking poles is highly recommended to improve stability, balance and reduce the impact on joints and muscles and knees.

I like the folding (adjustable length) trekking poles for hiking. Most of my hikes are day hikes and I usually am carrying a camera and often a tripod. So, I generally use one pole as I need one hand free. They are most useful on inclines (both up and down) and can save you from a bad slip or fall. If I decide to carry a fair amount of camera gear, I'll wear a backpack and I can usually slip the tripod inside the pack so I have a hand free. With picture taking, your attention is not on the poles and it is easy to walk away from one and loose it.

Last edited:
I have a pair of these. I'm a stick user in any case due to disability and my EDC is a nice hefty shillelagh but these are useful for strapping on a bike when out and about, to keep in the car as backup or for propping up a tarp, etc.

Back