How to use Scotch-Brite belts without washing out the plunge?

Basically what the title says. I find it hard to use scotchbrite without washing out my plunge lines.

Make the plunge crisp before using scotch brite and when you do, use light pressure with few passes. You will still get some bleed over on the flats though jsyk, but it won't wash them out.

Maelstrom has the biggest piece of advice. A Scotch-Brite belt won't take away coarser scratches. Make a GOOD 400 grit finish ( or finer) then use the belt. Placing your shoulder jig at the plunge can keep the plunge crisp. Don't wiggle the blade on the Scotch-Brite belt. Use it just like it was a standard belt, with the blade held at the correct angle. Use just enough pressure to make the finish even.

Maelstrom has the biggest piece of advice. A Scotch-Brite belt won't take away coarser scratches. Make a GOOD 400 grit finish ( or finer) then use the belt. Placing your shoulder jig at the plunge can keep the plunge crisp. Don't wiggle the blade on the Scotch-Brite belt. Use it just like it was a standard belt, with the blade held at the correct angle. Use just enough pressure to make the finish even.
Good advice! This is how I do it, treat it like a standard belt and light pressure.

You most likely have to get your surface finish FINER (much finer) than the scotchbrite finish. Then be as quick as you can.
Second question. I have always used them running wide open. What kind of speed ar you using. I had a clean a45 finish on the but thought that was finer than what it is.

You want to solve all those problems? Get rid of that scotch brite belt and get a 400 grit cork belt.

When you break in the cork belt do not use any polishing compound. Just break it in and use it dry.

It will leave a nice satin finish with none of the drama the scotch brite brings. It leaves lines crisp and cleans works plunges beautifully.

You want to solve all those problems? Get rid of that scotch brite belt and get a 400 grit cork belt.

When you break in the cork belt do not use any polishing compound. Just break it in and use it dry.

It will leave a nice satin finish with none of the drama the scotch brite brings. It leaves lines crisp and cleans works plunges beautifully.
Where were you at 5 this morning. I was going to use cork but couldn't remember where I put them.

I run the Scotch-Brite pretty fast.

I also ha all of the cork belts and they have a really cool nice finish too. I run the higher ones once with green compound ones with green compound though.

Back