1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Photos How Well Do We Know Our ABC's?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Eli Chaps, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I'll join in on the Zulu spear for Z day.
    [​IMG]

2. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Yep! One of the ugliest ones I own! ;)

Peregrin likes this.
  3. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    For obscure reasons, the name comes from the Zouave soldiers, created during the conquest of Algeria in 1830 (and lasted til 1962), whose heyday was in the Crimean war.(edit : maybe this comes of the Papal Zouaves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_Zouaves )
    One is particularly famous because standing on a pier of the Alma bridge he serves as an indicator of Seine river level. (emergency level is reached when his feets are in the water).
    The blade shape is called French blade,again reason remains unknown. (http://www.coltelleriasaladini.it/en/prodotti/zuava-2/)

[​IMG] Zouave.jpg

[​IMG]

cudgee, Gevonovich, Dschal and 5 others like this.
  4. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Tidioute #72 Cody Scout Lockback in Grizzly Cut Bone

[​IMG]

Tidioute #85 Bullet End Jack "Beaver Tail" in Jigged Brazilian Cherry

[​IMG]

This round was fun! I challenged myself to post as many GEC knives as I could, at least one for each letter, no duplicates. 26 days, 26 letters, 91 GECs, and 1 Excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything. :D

5. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
  6. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I'm following the herdZ for once with this ZULU SPEAR too:D Zucchini in the pasta?

[​IMG]

7. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    AnZa (with CZ).

3AF811A5-C5F0-4BBF-8993-7FCD647A05BB.jpeg K

glennbad, Dschal and Prester John like this.
  8. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    I’m sorry to have misssd the second half of the alphabet in this round. I’ve been watching and enjoying the show, but too far from my knives to make any contributions. On this last letter of round 2, here is a Mike Zscherny stag backpocket sandwiched between two of his Barlows 396955D7-3B16-46F6-B641-0C79769B8032.jpeg
    33362F41-94C9-430E-9ADA-96EEAA22DE2C.jpeg
    1D1A0743-2C5F-4E3A-95F5-FAB351FB2808.jpeg

9. Peregrin

Sep 2, 2004
    I was waiting for you to post one of your Zscherny's, David. Very nice!

dcpritch likes this.
  10. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Awesome!

dcpritch likes this.
  11. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Great Barlows!!!

dcpritch likes this.
  12. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Ah!! And so Eli starts us in the creative version of this game with the A's!!
    A collection of Ancient Barlows, EH? (As we Canadians might say!!):)
    Collection of Ancients 1.jpg

13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    AAAAAAAAAAARGHHH! ANIHILATED:eek: Can't manage a third, but looking forward to others's ADDITIONS :D:cool:

Eli Chaps, Prester John and cudgee like this.
  14. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    A very cheAp Acquisition. But A greAt cArrier!!!
    [​IMG]

Eli Chaps, Prester John and waynorth like this.
  15. Peregrin

Sep 2, 2004
    Ancient Barlow for me!
    [​IMG]

16. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Ancients

[​IMG]

17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    In Round 1, I posted as many of my knives as I could for each letter-day, using the initial letters of words used to describe a knife to decide if it was legit. As a result, many knives were posted several times over the course of the round.

In Round 2, I posted exactly one knife each day, and never posted a knife more than once in that round.

In Round 3, I plan to take a minimalist approach in the sense of posting as few knives as I can to cover the entire alphabet. By using admittedly comprehensive knife descriptions, I think I'll be able to handle A-Z with just THREE knives.

I just wanted to let you know what "rules" I'm playing by. :rolleyes:

My Entry for A:
    XYZ Brands produces, in China, an America's Trades, Double-ended Canoe Pattern with Parallel-Jigged Brown Bone covers having Threaded Bolsters and an Oval Handyman's Club of America Shield (and an HCOA LTD Tang Stamp). It Arrived Packaged in a Black Velour Bag inside a Black Cardboard Box.
    canoe.mark.main.bag&box.jpg

- GT

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  18. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Animals!!
    Animals A.jpg

19. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Gevonovich likes this.
  20. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I was planning to sit out round 3, but if you can cover the alphabet with three knives, I just might try to do it with two, or even one! I may strain my brain. :D I'll decide before midnight central time. Either way, I'll keep an eye on this thread. So many great knives posted!

Edit: I've decided to sit this round out. I've already posted almost all of my knives in each of the first two rounds, and I don't want to be too "creative" with my posts. I am enjoying this thread, and looking forward to seeing everyone's posts.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Half/Stop and Eli Chaps like this.