(How) Would You Re-Grind this Blade?

Restoration looks pretty good.

Paint the ground benvels with nail polish or any enamel paint. Let it dry. Use a cotton ball soaked in FC to restore the dark surface to the kurouchi. Wear rubber gloves! The finish on your blade must have been some sort of forced finish, as a proper kurouchi would not pull off.

To remove duct tape and most similar adhesives - use denatured alcohol followed by WD-40.

Thanks Stacy - I will get some FC. that will let me straighten up the shinogi on the one weird side, as it was not ground, the kurouchi just lifted along that line.

(I did use try denatured alcohol- did not touch the adhesive. Neither did lighter fluid (kerosine), not did goo-gone. Who knows why - one of those almost always works .... I was cringing when I had to take the 3m pad to it :-(

Acetone also will take it off. If that doesn't work, try mineral spirits. I do agree that the adhesive on duct tape is stubborn stuff.

I think one easy way to put heavy duct tape on a blade would be to tape it up with blue painter's tape first and then put the duct tape on.

Acetone also will take it off. If that doesn't work, try mineral spirits. I do agree that the adhesive on duct tape is stubborn stuff.

I think one easy way to put heavy duct tape on a blade would be to tape it up with blue painter's tape first and then put the duct tape on.
I use it and have no problem....till I heat blade to much and only then when removing tape glue stay on steel ...........Nitro thinner clean that fast .

Thanks Stacy - I will get some FC. that will let me straighten up the shinogi on the one weird side, as it was not ground, the kurouchi just lifted along that line.

(I did use try denatured alcohol- did not touch the adhesive. Neither did lighter fluid (kerosine), not did goo-gone. Who knows why - one of those almost always works .... I was cringing when I had to take the 3m pad to it :-(
Nitro thinner will clean that easy .You have glue on steel because you heat steel to much ....Glue again that tape on piece of steel and pull it ...no glue on steel :)

Back