How's the Assault Shaker as a utility knife?

I was thinking of getting one to mount to the front of my BM sheath. Anyone use there's for small camp stuff like whittling, cleaning fish, food etc? It seems more geared toward tactical carry though.

I just received my Pepper Shaker, so have not had chance to use it yet. But from the size of it, I would say that it would work great for small task. And the Perrer shaker would be better for slicing task, with a 3/16 of an inch width rather than the standard Assault shakers 1/4 of an inch. Dont quite know about the tactical unless it is a last ditch backup.

I've owned both the Assault Shaker and Pepper Shaker over the last year. Both are fantastic little knives. However the blade design on the Pepper Shaker does have a few advantages. Didn't have a chance to use the Pepper Shaker, but I agree she looked great for a utitilty knife.... :)

Thanks. Maybe I'll try and get ahold of...both! Now I have to decide between bead blast or coated. Ah, the decisions!

Originally posted by tknife
Anyone use there's for small camp stuff like whittling, cleaning fish, food etc?

I haven't used mine for these kind of tasks but have used it for many other utility tasks (ie cutting open boxes, stripping wire, opening paint cans) and it has worked great.

What I find most useful is that once I put it on I generally forget about it until its needed. It is often the only knife I carry.

I`ve used mine for anything you would use a pocketknife for-with the added advantage of not having to worry about having it fold closed on your fingers:eek: Also have stripped wire, removed burrs from plastic parts at work, and pried. Handiest knife I own-bar none!

John

Although I haven't used mine as extensively as my Police Recruit or Mean Streets, the times I've decided to carry it I can can say that it will hold it's own compared to it's big brothers:cool:

If you want something that would clean fish and such, the 3/16" Pepper Shaker may be a better candidate. The regular AS has some serious finesse and if it was a bit thinner it would make a great compact fishing and whittling blade:)

Good Evening Everyone-

Given that it is such a tiny package, I have to believe that the 3/16" Pepper Shaker will be plenty robust in comparison with the slightly thicker 1/4" stock Assault Shaker.

Heck, if the Busse factory is building full-sized knives from 3/16", it has to hold its own...

I opted for the Pepper Shaker over the Assault Shaker...so I'm trying to affirm my decision! :eek: Everyone mentions that it will be a better slicer, but I'm not sure what the strength penalty may or may not be. What do you guys think?

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Originally posted by Blue Jays
Everyone mentions that it will be a better slicer, but I'm not sure what the strength penalty may or may not be. What do you guys think?

I don't think strength will be an issue :D

Hi Andrew-

Yes, we're only speaking about 1/16" difference between the two stocks of steel. There must have been a reason that Jerry & Co. felt that the 3/16" would be a better choice for the Pepper Shaker.

My knives are "used" not "abused," so I'm sure it'll work out great.

Thanks,

~ Blue Jays ~

Good Evening Everyone-

According to Jerry's original prediction, we're about 50% through the delay period caused by the coating issue.

There should be quite a few people posting AS & PS reviews/responses in about two weeks from now if everything goes as predicted.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Back