HT options

Hi Guys. What I have is a 13" over all, 3/16" 01 blade.
My options are the following.
Send out to HT.
Charcoal Grill and hairdryer.

How well with the grill work? if I use the grill what quenching solution to use for 01?

Thanks guys.

Hi blgoode, I just finished my first knife on the cheap and it was 1084 steel but I have heard that the concept will apply for 0-1. I used mesquite Kingsford charcoal in a grill. It burns hotter than regular charcoal and plus the steaks I grilled afterwards tasted great! I used the old shop vac on blower and stayed back a ways but I believe that a blowdrier would get the job done. I heated it up till it wouldn't take a magnet and then instantly dunked it into a bucket of 10w-30 motor oil. I put the edge in halfway and then slowly dunked rest of it in after a couple of seconds.I then put it in the oven at about 450 for 45 minutes, took it out and air cooled it and then put it in the oven again at the same temp and time. I am probably the last person that should give advice on knife making but this worked really well for me and my knife seems to hold an edge well without being too brittle so I guess it worked. Good luck!

Finding a commercial place to heat treat carbon steel is hard (at least I couldn't find one). So you might have to find another maker to do it.

If you do it at home, please practice on some little scraps of 01 steel. Will save you some heart ache.

Steve

Back