HTM Gunhammer SAO is a "gravity knife"?

According NYC knife law, Penal Law § 265.00(5) Chapt/Sec § 10–133
Legal-Yes, folder/length <4" and short description from the low&#8221; NYC has been charging people for any type folding knife stating they are Gravity Knives. Use Caution &#8220;

Definition of "gravity knife"
A "gravity knife," one of the proscribed objects, is defined as: ". . . any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device." Penal Law § 265.00(5).

My question is: HTM Gunhammer SAO is a "gravity knife"? Yes or No

Last edited:
Just about any knife in NYC is illegal, depending on the mood of the LEO that decides to stop and frisk. If you can shake the knife open and lock it with minimal force, then yes. Assisted knives (I happen to own a GH 2) and it fires about as hard as an auto, but you have to overcome some resistance.

There is no way to provide you a yes or no answer here. If you are caught with a locking knife, regardless of what brand in NYC you're going to be in trouble all the same. Nt all LEOs are knife experts, and not all of them interpret the law the same across the board, or know the difference between assisted opening and a real automatic knife.

Thank you RevDevil, but is unclear and I understand that not all LEOs are knife experts.

I will be more specific: HTM Knives Darrel Ralph DDR Gunhammer Bowie Assisted 3-1/2&#8221; S30V Combo BladePlain Blade, Aluminum Handles.

Part Number:HTMMFDRGHBSAO
It is a "gravity knife" or it is not?

What RevDevil said is right on the money. *In NYC*, the wording of the law is ambiguous enough, and the instructions the DA and police officials have given beat officers about what constitutes a "gravity knife" are so expansive, that *any* locking knife, whether it's a spring assisted HTM with a liner lock, an unassisted Spyderco with a backlock, an unassisted Benchmade with an Axis Lock, a torsion bar assisted Kershaw with a frame lock, or whatever else, can be deemed a "gravity knife" depending on the mood of the LEO and whether he/she has better things to do at the time.

Basically, NYC is in its own bizarre little universe when it comes to knife laws and, specifically, its absurdly expansive definition of a "gravity knife" (see the Knife Laws subforum here on BladeForums for more threads/info/outrage about the NYC laws). In any jurisdiction with knife laws that are even halfway sensibly written and sensibly interpreted -- i.e., pretty much anywhere else in the country -- no, the HTM Gunhammer isn't considered a gravity knife.

^
^

This.

All this sounds accurate to me--I visit NYC regularly and was told by a LEO who is family that just about any knife will get you into trouble. At most I'll carry a moderately sized slip joint deep in my pocket if I'm out and about. Just not worth the trouble from my perspective.

If the lint in your pocket is dense enough you will probably be charged with concealing a deadly weapon. Stay safe, stay out of NYC.

Back