Humidity, and storage of Randall Made knives

Hello-

I have been collecting knives since the 1970’s, and began collecting Randall’s in the 1980’s. As my collection has grown I have sought different ways to protect and store my knives. Renaissance Wax seems to work, most of the time.

My question, and the reason for this post, concerns humidity. I recently purchased a climate controlled cabinet to store my collection in. What is the best humidity range at which to store knives? This would include knives made of tool steel & stainless steel with micarta, stag, leather, wood, etc., handles. I have seen ranges from 30% to 50%. Thoughts?

Best regards,
Zzyzx Road

Last edited:
They recommend 40% to 60% for a gun safe. With 50% being ideal.

I am still working on it, and need to figure out how many more trays it will hold. For display purposes this isn't too bad though.

Attachments

• 58F90672-D37A-4AAA-A47A-27845426C697.jpeg
    58F90672-D37A-4AAA-A47A-27845426C697.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 54
I should point out that your entire house is supposed to be around 50% for good health too.

True. It is much easier to control a cabinet to an exact temperature and humidity, though. Especially, where electronics and/or collectibles are concerned. These cabinets are actually designed for electronics, and are quite inexpensive. The one in the photo, 85L cost $110 shipped to my home, on sale. They go on sale about once a month. The 55L costs less, but is not deep enough for most Randall Made model 1’s.

https://www.adorama.com/sledc85hs.html

Last edited:
Super dry up here in NW Montana, which is purty darn sweet fro the most part, but hell on ivory handled knives, RMK's included. I no longer own any ivory handled knives...

Zzyzx Road Zzyzx Road I wasn’t arguing against the case. I think it’s a great idea.

Was just pointing out that the whole house should be monitored and conditioned too. You shouldn’t rely on the cabinets to do all the work. If it’s very humid.

I run three de humidifier s in a relatively small house. One in the basement one on the 1st floor another on the second in each full bath. I’m lucky if I keep the house below 70%. But that’s with 5 people taking showers.

Also if having a humidity problem check the clothes dryer and heating system especially if they are nat gas or propane. If they are leaking into the house the humidity will skyrocket out of control as well as carbon monoxide.

Just general advice on the subject not directed to you Zzyzx Road Zzyzx Road

I also thought it was interesting that 50% is healthy to us and is also ideal to guns and knives.

Sheldon Montana sounds nice. Well worth not being able to own ivory. It doesn’t effect the Randall leather washers? Some of my ww2 knives loosen up in low humidity.

The real danger is temperature fluctuations. If the steel in a knife or gun is colder than the air the moisture will condensate on it.

I read about a failed gun shop that had all the gun racks against concrete walls. He would turn the heat down at night and fire it up in the morning. Every gun was rusty on the wall side.

Last edited:
eveled eveled I understood and did not take any offense. (So many do, anymore.)

I do believe this conversation has value with regard to maintaining long term collections. There is value in understanding how to store knives in the home, in cabinets, etc. Ivory, stag, Micarta and steels (of all kinds) have different humidity and rust preventative requirements. Gun safes are not always the best option.

In fact, there is nothing more disappointing then pulling a well loved, and cared for, firearm or knife, from a safe only to find a light dusting of surface rust. I hate that on tools, as well.

Last edited:
Back