Hunter Pro Alox, can't wait..

Oh man, this is so cool. Release date will be November according to Victorinox Netherlands, but some have already gotten a hold of it:

I'm not sure what to think of this. It feels like a desperate attempt to capitalize on the US craze for locking folders with pocket clips.

+ Alox scales; kind of a trademark for Victorinox
+ Includes a classy fob
+/- It's enormous! (negative for me, positive for others)
- Back lock? They blew it here. The old Victorinox side lock or Wenger liner lock that is actuated by pressing the shield are both superior, in my opinion.
+/- I don't like the huge diagonal Swiss cross, with the border cropped off...

Blade steel? Still Victorinox's usual soft steel, or is that upgraded to be more inline with the typical tactical folders'?

I dig the blade shape and alox. I'd love for it to have a secondary tool like an opener or or something.

I saw it in person the other day, and it is enormous. I really wish it was at least 20% smaller, and lighter. That thing is heavy!
I saw on their website they said it is good for urban carry, hehehe. Not in MY local city!

They were probably thinking: "Those Yankees like everything bigger than it needs to be. This ought to for it for them!"
Yes, I’d hazard a guess that is correct. It is marketed as a hunting knife, as we know, but with Vic steel that would mean a lot of maintenance I suspect, if gralloching and so on. It’s neither horse nor hound in my book, but I bet they will sell a shed load of ‘em.

Yes, I’d hazard a guess that is correct. It is marketed as a hunting knife, as we know, but with Vic steel that would mean a lot of maintenance I suspect, if gralloching and so on. It’s neither horse nor hound in my book, but I bet they will sell a shed load of ‘em.

Neither horse nor hound, I like that. Very true.

To be honest, I've never really understood the push from the knife industry for folders to be the end all of knives. It's a folder, that means all kinds of hidden hard to clean areas for gunk from deer guts to fish slime. If you're going hunting, carry a real hunting knife, like a fixed blade. When done, just wipe it off in the grass or a quick dunking in a creek and it's a done deal.

Just another move from a knife manufacturer to artificially stimulate a market for an answer to a unasked question. It's just sad to see Victorinox jump on the already over loaded tactical band wagon. As for pocket clips, why advertise to the whole world what you're carrying and where it is?

I'll pass.
If I want to carry a single blade folder, I have my Buck 110 and 112. (For what it is worth, a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT has been on my belt every day for over 40 years.)
I detest/hate/loathe pocket clips.
I have less than zero use or need for one hand opening.

I'm quite sure Victorinox will sell a lot of these to the "tactical" crowd.

I'll stick with the Signature, Classic, Recruit, and Huntsman for my SAK needs.

Neither horse nor hound, I like that. Very true.

To be honest, I've never really understood the push from the knife industry for folders to be the end all of knives. It's a folder, that means all kinds of hidden hard to clean areas for gunk from deer guts to fish slime. If you're going hunting, carry a real hunting knife, like a fixed blade. When done, just wipe it off in the grass or a quick dunking in a creek and it's a done deal.

Just another move from a knife manufacturer to artificially stimulate a market for an answer to a unasked question. It's just sad to see Victorinox jump on the already over loaded tactical band wagon. As for pocket clips, why advertise to the whole world what you're carrying and where it is?
:thumbsup:

Could not agree more. :)

Victorinox is such a conservative company,they have been successful for a long time -so I'm happy to see that someone over there decided to rock the tram a bit,and great job of it too.....keep up the great work,now we need a mini version ,a g10 version,and of course a copper alox version w/toothick and tweezers :D

I received an Alox Hunter Pro last week. It is a beast, as the picture shows, it dwarf's an alox soldier. The Alox Hunter Pro weighs (by my scale) 6.2oz vs the Alox Soldier (2.4 oz.). It is certainly a hand full of knife, a "mini" Alox Hunter Pro would be interesting! As is, there are many lighter weight, better steel options for a single blade lockback edc.

IMG_1173.jpg

OK, first impressions…

It’s big, heavy, imperfect, but beautiful and Swiss. Like me.

I like it!

Cost me 95 CHF (basically the same in USD)

It’s very ergonomic (for my medium hands). I feel I could use it all day without issue. Even the clip doesn’t give any obvious hotspot.

Opens smooth and locks up solid. If I really crank on it I can get some side to side wiggle. Zero up and down.

Centering is a bit off. The blade is about a hair away from rubbing on the clip side.

Grinding on the swedge is a bit off as well.

The edge is sharp, but a bit uneven and the point could be pointier, but that’s an easy fix.

Could you find a better constructed knife with better materials for the same cost (or less)?

Yes.

Will that stop me from liking it?

No.

It will live in my pocket for a while and I’m gonna use the snot out of it.

I’ll report back after it’s got some miles on it.

Pictures:

gjUiZGx.jpg

FHBfyx0.jpg

cHx2DeE.jpg

j1AhgKD.jpg

n4Z96yj.jpg

EsdckUW.jpg

AKWkTDs.jpg

kCZgZ8L.jpg

Back