Hunter Pro Alox

I like and collect all kinds of knives. I bought the silver alox version at the same time I bought a knife made by another company, one that I expected to like better. Bottom line: I ended up preferring the SAK better. That's the interesting thing about knives - you never really know quite what to expect. Very slight differences in measurements can make all the difference in the hand. So, this is my impressions, could be totally different for you.

I have a medium size hand and am a fairly small, old guy. The knife looks big and it is. The saving grace is that it is also slim. I usually don't like finger grooves, but these aren't that deep and not a problem for me. The knife has that typical precision feel. Perfectly centered. Absolutely no quality issues. Hole in the handle is not a big deal for me. I may get the red one without the hole, as well. I'm also not a real big fan of pocket clips. On some folders, I remove them for a better feel. However, this one has the best pocket clip that I have come across. Carries low, looks great, and the big knife doesn't feel overly large in the pocket. I like the blade style, a very useful shape. All in all, I am very pleased with it. And the other knife I bought was twice the price. And that red does look terrific.

--Larry

Never seen the need for a sak like that, but there must be a market. :thumbsdown:

It is not a "SAK"; it is a liner-lock (?) folding knife from Victorinox. It seems nice but at the prices that I've seen online, it has a lot of competition. Personally, I don't buy folding knifes above $50, except collecting pieces, so I wouldn't but it...

I like and collect all kinds of knives. I bought the silver alox version at the same time I bought a knife made by another company, one that I expected to like better. Bottom line: I ended up preferring the SAK better. That's the interesting thing about knives - you never really know quite what to expect. Very slight differences in measurements can make all the difference in the hand. So, this is my impressions, could be totally different for you.

I have a medium size hand and am a fairly small, old guy. The knife looks big and it is. The saving grace is that it is also slim. I usually don't like finger grooves, but these aren't that deep and not a problem for me. The knife has that typical precision feel. Perfectly centered. Absolutely no quality issues. Hole in the handle is not a big deal for me. I may get the red one without the hole, as well. I'm also not a real big fan of pocket clips. On some folders, I remove them for a better feel. However, this one has the best pocket clip that I have come across. Carries low, looks great, and the big knife doesn't feel overly large in the pocket. I like the blade style, a very useful shape. All in all, I am very pleased with it. And the other knife I bought was twice the price. And that red does look terrific.

--Larry

Excellent, thank you !

Never seen the need for a sak like that, but there must be a market. :thumbsdown:

Yes it is different. I see it as a typical EDC in the size range that I like. And the manufacturers rep is reassuring of a decent piece. And it's red.....Lordy that colour is a magnet for me, lol !

It is not a "SAK"; it is a liner-lock (?) folding knife from Victorinox. It seems nice but at the prices that I've seen online, it has a lot of competition. Personally, I don't buy folding knifes above $50, except collecting pieces, so I wouldn't but it...

Point taken. Maybe I should sit on my hands for a bit and see if the market realigns the price. Lord knows I don't need it...........but.........it's...........red. :D

Point taken. Maybe I should sit on my hands for a bit and see if the market realigns the price. Lord knows I don't need it...........but.........it's...........red. :D

I 100% agree with you that the red alox scales _look very cool_ What can I say, it is a nice looking knife.
And, although I know I won't even have a passing interest in it, it might just be the right folding knife for a lot of folks out there. If that means that Victorinox stays strong making good SAKs for us, then it is undoubtedly a good thing.

Have been eyeing the Vic Hunter Pro Alox for a while, felt it was too expensive at USD100, but finally took the plunge for the silver OHO version recently when one of the local distributors (exiting distribution) put their remaining stock for this model on markdown to USD65. Nice, solid knife, no quality issues at all, beautiful alox scales. There were older reviews for the non-alox versions mentioning blade play etc but on both the alox and non-alox units left in the retail shop, all had solid lock up & no blade play in any direction at all. Now, if only the red alox version came in OHO... ;)

I bought it . It’s a nice knife but pretty big and I thought the Alox handle being outdoors and field dressing a deer with it in the cold part of the country where I live was not suitable for me . Also I thought it may be a bit slippery in hand when wet due to Alox material combined with the heft of the knife. I liked the knife but I have many others better suited for me so I traded mine.

Last edited:
I have the series of "Hunter Pro" but Victorinox should soon produce another one of another color
48670969033_4e264f5f77_c.jpg

How I wish the red alox one came in OHO too...

For single blade OHO folders, I usually prefer lightweight ones like the Benchmade 940, Spyderco PM2 or Ontario Rat2. But for some unexplainable reason, I really like the heft & solidity of the Hunter Pro Alox. I guess it's the same unexplainable reason why I also like the good old Buck 110s :D

Back