Hurricane Ike and my HI khukuris

That is one well-seasoned blade, Berk! :eek:

I don't know about that CS, looks like its had plenty of salt but it looks to me like it needs more pepper.:thumbup: :p ;) :D :cool: And Most Definitely some really Great Habenero Hot Sauce, Tabasco will work in a pinch. ;) :p :D

`

Don't forget the magical powers of Coke products on rust! I think the original Coke would be best for this use. It is probably one of the cheaper rust removal products going :).

At least it'll get off the large parts and get you closer to the polishing part. I'm planning on applying some to my Jeep bumper which has decided to rust over this winter <grrr>.

Good luck!!

If you know a gunsmith or someone who refinishes fireams, they can grit blast with aluminum oxide, 120 and 220 grit, to get to what is called bright metal (no oxidation).
This will take only a few minutes per blade. Then you can polish to the desired finish using previously described methods. I have a blast cabinet and have refinished quite a few guns submerged durung Huricane Rita.
These blade are definately salvageable.

Good luck

Wow wildmn13,
that looks nasty. But it is only surface damage. There's a lot of steel there so you don't have to worry about the useability of the blade.

How many did you have in your collection?

Allow the handles to dry slowly to try to avoid damage. Sand the handles.
Fill any gaps with superglue gel. Sand some more. wipe with mineral oil.

Blades: hit with mid-coarse steelwool, then to the finest steel wool. Scotchbright coarse then fine. 320 grit wet/dry then up to however you want to go. for a fine polish I'd probably go pretty high then try flitz.
I'd do all this by hand. I really don't like the dremel approach. It has always left streaks for me.

I'd use flitz on the brass too. Finish it all off with renwax.

Good luck

htt_p://www.evaporust.com/distributor.html

EVAPO-RUST is non-toxic, will remove all rust and is reusable.

Back