I am speechless...

Unicorn, a collaboration, i believe, between Roger Bergh and his son Isak :

Unicorn.jpg

Might not be everyones cup of tea but I love it!!!

The craftmansship!

Could not find a picture of the blade.

Regards
/Magnus

It would be interesting to see the knife out of the scabbard, but this is the only photo I could find on his web site.

It would be interesting to see the knife out of the scabbard, but this is the only photo I could find on his web site.

No, I found only this on his website.

I am hoping to see it up close at the Scandinavian Knifemakers Guild show this summer. But it will very likely be sold by then I guess.

Regards
/Magnus

Some more pictures of the blade

Unicorn_45.jpg

Unicorn_44.jpg

"This knife was 3 year's in the making"

What a knife!

Seems like it is sold, so I will not be seeing it at the Guild show :grumpy:

Cheers
/Magnus

To think that many would diss it as being an "art" knife... :confused:

To think that many would diss it as being an "art" knife... :confused:

Joss, you know that I would not diss it because it is an art knife, but I don't like it anyway.

Looks like Infinity pattern Damasteel, wrong choice for this piece, it is too busy, the blade does not flow with the handle.

The handle is lovely sculpture, and stands as such, but I don't like it for a handle. The guard is just plain wrong, bulbous, and misshapen.

If this is ivory, I would be absolutely concerned about cracking.

Lastly, the sheath does not work for me.

These are all "knife" critiques. If we are talking about it as simply an art piece, and remove the "knife" aspects out of it completely, then it is great, in the same way that we would look at a Virgil England piece. Issues such as flow, blade-to-handle ratio, and symmetry are no longer of importance.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Liking or not the design is a personal decision, I have no problem with that.

This piece reminds me of some of Pierre Reverdy's work - again, something people can like or not.

JD

Back