Recommendation? I broke my Schrade USA spey blade

I purchased an old Uncle Henry stockman from Ebay and it needed some cleaning and for the spey blade to be bent outward to reduce friction against the sheepsfoot blade.

I bent too hard and broke about 1/4 of the blade off at the tip.

Does anyone have advice for how to fix this? Schrade USA is gone, now it's all made in China, I might be able to fix it myself with a replacement blade but I would need the exact correct size and all that.

Honestly I think you would be better off finding a replacement knife if you want one with full blades, and just grind the tip back on the knife you have. The reason I say that is finding a blade is not guaranteed, and USA schrades can be found for very low prices, close to the price of spare blade if and when the right one turns up.

I purchased an old Uncle Henry stockman from Ebay and it needed some cleaning and for the spey blade to be bent outward to reduce friction against the sheepsfoot blade.

I bent too hard and broke about 1/4 of the blade off at the tip.

Does anyone have advice for how to fix this? Schrade USA is gone, now it's all made in China, I might be able to fix it myself with a replacement blade but I would need the exact correct size and all that.
I agree with finding a replacement knife in whatever condition and price range suits your needs. A quick eBay search, "Schrade Stockman" returned over 600 items just now. A good percentage of them were U.S.A. made, from used but nice, to new in the box. And many at low prices still.

You guys are right, of course, about replacing it, but my OCD makes me want to fix it. šŸ¤£

It's old, the blades are almost impossible to open without using another tool, I've sanding off most of the rust but there is still some restoration to do on it. I bought it for the project. I just did not think I would actually break it. That makes it hard to restore.

Thanks heaps for your suggestions, of course. :)

I shaped what's left of the blade and have been using this particular knife every day. I've sanded, oiled, and repeatedly opened and closed the joints. It looks alright now and works great.

I think this particular knife has a bit of an attitude, though. I've been using it to remove scales on my screwups and it does this work really well. I think it wants to get back at other knives. ;-)

Back