I could use a few more hits -- on my website, that is. Or how to get a free 15" AK.

Boys, I think Beo's site looks better than mine -- but I tried a couple of the knife pix links and couldn't get them to work.

I'm ready to replace the old site when Beo says he's ready to go.

Many thanks for great help.

I have the same problem connecting. I do best with Netscape 6 in getting pix to download. It works better than AOL's own browser. It seems to me that the AOL browser should work better than anything downloading AOL based sites but that is not the case.

Thanks again.

Beo, I'll email you a pix of the logo khukuri.

Very nice site B. :)

I didn't see a link to this forum though. When I was looking at sharp and pointies I didn't decide to purchase until I read through the forums for a couple of weeks. Good unsolicited reviews are a must when buying something sight unseen.

I dunno, just my opinion :eek:

Uncle Bill:

A little extra info.

At home I'm using AOL 7.0 on a Windows XP Professional box. I don't know if this is causing some connection/download problems. The AOL 7.0/XP combination is too new to have much of a track record.

All three of my office boxes are also running under XP Pro, although the DSL connection should eliminate the AOL component on the user side.

Ben's Beta site looks real professional. I noticed the same as you; some of the pix wouldn't load. But, hey, this is a first pass.

Blessings upon you and yours,

JimF

I'm still using AOL 6. I'm afraid to upgrade. When I went from 5 to 6 I lost my PFC and I don't want that to happen again.

Uncle Bill & Jim - I fixed the pix (it was trying to link to the files on my computer, I don't know why it does that for some of the pix, but not for others)

I added in another 'hot-link' on the Kumar photo to the 'Kamis' page and put the Dasein cards in near the bottom with their link from the original page and fixed up a couple of things. Everything seems to work for me with both Microsoft's Internet Explorer 5.5 & Netscape 6. I don't know about other browsers, but I assume they should be ok too.

2nd Go at new HI SITE
(it's actually the same http location as the last one)

BruiseLee - actually the link to this forum has been there the whole time, but I tried to make it a bit more obvious.

bobrap - I know what you mean about a 'quick jump box', but I'm not sure what bits on the page it should link to entirely....I dunno, what do other people think about the 'navigation' of the page? Is it long enough to warrant links to jump directly to particular bits on the page (and, if so, which bits)? (are you figuring that $0.02=£0.005 [2 cents = ha'penny] at the current exchange rate? ;) )

firkin - I tried to address the 'not turning off non-knife-fanatics' issue. Did the best I could (hey, I'm not a knife-fanatic myself and I don't flee the urge to flee the page ;) )

Uncle Bill - we could probably go ahead and get the WebRing stuff set up, if you want to do that, I'll send you an email with more info.

I have problems with the photos loading in sometimes myself. But I don't know anything about this end of things - Jim F seems like the best person to talk to about that.

A couple of stray thoughts: it might be nice to get another photo of Pala....I got the best one I could, perhaps it's good enough (I think it's good to have his photo up, since he's explicitly mentioned in the text....)

I like the photo of Yangdu holding the khukuri. We haven't got any more photos of her (other than the 'huge-sacrificial-khuk' one) with a kukri, have we? Or photos of Chokpa with a khukuri?

I'm open to more suggestions - I thought it might be good to get some input before putting in the new site.

cheers, B.

Beo, I'll look thru some of the 10,000 pix file and send you a couple more. Did you get the pix of the logo khukuri I sent earlier?

Originally posted by Bill Martino
Beo, I'll look thru some of the 10,000 pix file and send you a couple more. Did you get the pix of the logo khukuri I sent earlier?

Yep, got it (& it's up there now, try refresh). Did you get the email about the WebRing I sent?

B.

Yeah, I tried to sign up and failed. I'll try later after I get the Nepali shipping staff on the road.

Yeah, I tried to sign up and failed. I'll try later after I get the Nepali shipping staff on the road.

Sounds like a good plan. I don't know what you want to do about the counter either. I like the free, no-advert, tells-you-heaps-of-information counter from CQ Counter.com. For an idea of the information breadth & format, take a look at the counter for my 'Bhaarata Shastra/East India Militaria page' here. Though it doesn't show up on your page with any sort of numbers, just a little tiny icon (
c
). One nice thing about it is that distinguish unique hits from page-refreshes. And also, it'll tell you about hits from search engines like Yahoo!, so you can tell what sort of searches people are doing who find your site.

A general question for everyone - what do people think of the wording of this paragraph on the page:

The KHUKURI is a superior blade, both as a combat weapon and as a tool. Standard-sized khukuris are between 12inches and 30inches overall. The unique curve of the khukuri makes it excellent both for chopping wood and for hacking through dense jungles and forests - serving as a combination of an axe and a machete - and anything else requiring a good knife. This makes it a particularly ideal item for the outdoorsman, hunter, hiker or explorer--or anyone who needs a multi-functional blade.

I'm trying to convey the usefulness of a kukri and cover as wide of range of likely 'users' as possible. 'outdoorsman, hunter, hiker, explorer' - is this good? anything to add/delete? Or any other advice on describing how the kukri-shape makes it an ideal chopping device? I wasn't sure how to write this up and it was 4.30am...

Please do point out any other typos or grammatical mistakes, confusing syntax, &c. too, if you spot any.

cheers, B.

Ben:

Checked out your Beta 2 site - as the kids today might put it, it's 'way cool' (or are we passed this now).

All pix came in on the first try. You sure don't need any help from me.

Congrats.

JimF

beoram,

Really nice job, loads pretty fast and looks like you can easily see where to go for what.

Maybe you could include some thing like "hand-forged in a variety of traditional and modern patterns" in the description and also show a photo of steel-pounding. And something like "handles are crafted from select native horn or hardwood and fitted individually to each knife"

Lots of stuff in US seems to be make by stock removal, not forging. I guess you can't pound on many modern alloys anyway, but I think the forging would play to the traditional craftsmanship aspect.

And somewhere, somebody's gotta have a picture of a Nepali doing some WORK with one, chopping bamboo, clearing a field or ??. I think that would look good above or below the gorkhas.

Maybe "..--any one who needs a adjective ("rugged"?, "indestructable" too much?) multifunctional blade"

Also if it says prices start a $10.00 (kagnes katne) then size range should begin at 6 inches??
As it stands one would think they could buy a 9" knife for for a tenner! :eek: Even if you start size range at 6 inches for a kagnes katne, how much does the reader expect to pay for a 12" knife? 10x more? :confused:

The reader could be forgiven for feeling a little duped, methinks. ;)

Actually what is overall length of JKM1?-- really only 6 inches? Or nine inches?

Anyway, I'd suggest to use the JKM1 ( @ $60.00) as the bottom of the price/size range. If they've read this far, the outdoorsman, hunter, hiker or explorer craves much more than a letter opener! :D

I think the ten bucks is misleading and probably should go. But generally it looks fine to me -- actually, better than fine.

I think the ten bucks is misleading and probably should go. But generally it looks fine to me -- actually, better than fine.

Thanks.

I changed it to $60 as suggested (I can take it out entirely, I just thought it was good for people to know that the prices didn't start at $500 -- which they very easily could based on some other edged-blade shops).

I took firkin's suggestions into account - all except the photo of a Nepali actually doing work with a khukuri, but only because I couldn't find one - not on the FAQ nor through Google!!

New HI WEBSITE - V3

Uncle Bill - I should be able to take care of the rest of the WebRing stuff.

let me know what you think of the latest design.

cheers, B.

It looks great to me. Publish it.

I'm going to send you a couple of pix of kamis at work.

Thanks for the pix - but actually what I was looking for was Nepalis using khukuris (to chop up things, &c.); I think that's what firkin meant. I'll see what else I can find.

B.

Originally posted by beoram

Thanks for the pix - but actually what I was looking for was Nepalis using khukuris (to chop up things, &c.); I think that's what firkin meant. I'll see what else I can find.

B.

I think I'm going to try some Photoshop magic and make Heber into a Nepali. ;)

B.

Here are my suggestions:

If you are talking about your sites hosted by aol, consider moving them somewhere else, it took a long time for aol to serve up your pages. In fact AOL looks DOA tonight.

I see you use the description and keyword html tags, you could ad a meta subject tag too.
Submit to the major search engines, most have a submit where you can do it yourself. (I'm sure you've done that already)

Some companies are able to buy "buzz", buzz essentially being a complementary article in some online on print magazine(s).

Consider some alternative advertising in say Home Power magazine (gotta chop wood for the stoves), mother earth news, etc.

Post outside this forum some more so people see
your sig once in a while in other forums.

Give away a khuk in the bladeforums monthly thing.

Send CLiff Stamp a sample or two, if he hasn't reviewed them already and ask him to post his result, Cliff's threads always get a lot of reads.

Ever thing of putting a album on your sites with pictures of customers and their khuks to generate interest?

How about guest reviews included with each model in the catalog?

I'll give my 2 cents on your home page now that aol has finally sent it to me. This goes for the V2 and V3 sites as well.

You have a long mix of text and links. There no clear navigational hierarchy. It takes way to long
to figure out where I'm supposed to go get some info.

CoSiSteNt TexT FoNT.

Edit so ALL the text is more concise.

All the blade forums stuff and contact/location info should be shrunk by 75%, by just taking out all the blanks space and big font stuff.

We have navigation going on left, right, center, everywhere, it doesn't seem like there is a consistent plan here.

Back