I decided to give waterstones a try

I have been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker and DMT diamond stones, but decided to move on to waterstones. I ordered a 220 and 800 grit to start off with, but later on I would like to get a finer grit stone. I have been watching Murray Carter’s 7 step sharpening video, but any advice or tips are appreciated.
32-CFF1-E8-8817-4-DA1-A3-C9-0-A0-DEA3-A6988.jpg

I love that 220. Great stone. Most 220's miss the mark pretty damn hard. Out of the 11 or so 220 waterstones I've tried, the Pride 220 takes one of only THREE spots as a genuinely recommended stone for me.

If you're just starting out, my only advice is: just get a consistent burr along the edge any way you possibly can. You can optimize your form from there. The most important thing is literally just to get a genuinely sharp edge which, with the stones you've purchased, is well within range.

Also, post pics of them in use! I love sharpening content!

I love that 220. Great stone. Most 220's miss the mark pretty damn hard. Out of the 11 or so 220 waterstones I've tried, the Pride 220 takes one of only THREE spots as a genuinely recommended stone for me.

If you're just starting out, my only advice is: just get a consistent burr along the edge any way you possibly can. You can optimize your form from there. The most important thing is literally just to get a genuinely sharp edge which, with the stones you've purchased, is well within range.

Also, post pics of them in use! I love sharpening content!
I sure will!! Thanks for the advice, I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

Last edited:
Let us know how they perform on powder steels that have a lot of vanadium and other very hard carbides. My Arkansas hones work great on high carbon steels with low carbides, but they can barely scratch super steels.

Let us know how they perform on powder steels that have a lot of vanadium and other very hard carbides. My Arkansas hones work great on high carbon steels with low carbides, but they can barely scratch super steels.
I’m going to see how they do on my ZDP-189 Endura 4. If they can put an edge on that thing, any other steel shouldn’t be much of a problem.

I have and use a large variety of water stones, but I am not personally familiar with the ones you chose. Can I ask why you chose those stones in particular?

I have and use a large variety of water stones, but I am not personally familiar with the ones you chose. Can I ask why you chose those stones in particular?
I haven’t used them yet, so I really can’t say anything on their performance, but I read great reviews on the company and their products. I was originally going to go with Japanese Water Stones but I came across these on USA Knifemakers website and decided to give them a try.

I’m going to see how they do on my ZDP-189 Endura 4. If they can put an edge on that thing, any other steel shouldn’t be much of a problem.

ZDP is hard but full of softer chromium carbides (compared to vanadium carbides found in other super steels) that can easily be cut/shaped by the softer abrasives in most waterstones. That's what makes ZDP so cool, it's a super steel that doesn't need high powered abrasives to sharpen it. Any other steel with vanadium or other carbide types will be much easier to sharpen with diamond/CBN abrasives.

Back