I did it!

Well folks, i can honestly say that I can finally freehand sharpen a knife. I have been working at it off and on for a few years, but really got serious about it in the past year or so. I sat down to practice and watch tv, and all of a sudden, it just made sense. I have a smith's sharpener that has 3 six inch stones affixed to a triangular base, they sell it at lowes. All you do is put the triangle of stones on the base, and rotate to the stone you want to use. It has a synthetic coarse stone, a medium arkansas stone, and a fine arkansas stone. Anyway, I started on the coarse, worked a burr up on both sides, then moved to the medium, and the fine. Now, all of a sudden, i had a screamingly sharp edge. I have been doing it to other knives over the past few days, and they are all ridiculously sharp too. I guess the lightbulb just went off and everything makes sense to me now. My bevel's still aren't real pretty, but I'm assuming that this is a skill that will come with time. For right now, as long as it works, i am happy! Any suggestions on the next grit of stone to buy? Im thinking a black arkansas...

Well folks, i can honestly say that I can finally freehand sharpen a knife. I have been working at it off and on for a few years, but really got serious about it in the past year or so. I sat down to practice and watch tv, and all of a sudden, it just made sense. I have a smith's sharpener that has 3 six inch stones affixed to a triangular base, they sell it at lowes. All you do is put the triangle of stones on the base, and rotate to the stone you want to use. It has a synthetic coarse stone, a medium arkansas stone, and a fine arkansas stone. Anyway, I started on the coarse, worked a burr up on both sides, then moved to the medium, and the fine. Now, all of a sudden, i had a screamingly sharp edge. I have been doing it to other knives over the past few days, and they are all ridiculously sharp too. I guess the lightbulb just went off and everything makes sense to me now. My bevel's still aren't real pretty, but I'm assuming that this is a skill that will come with time. For right now, as long as it works, i am happy! Any suggestions on the next grit of stone to buy? Im thinking a black arkansas...

Sounds great that you can freehand like that. :thumbup:

I'd move to a ceramic fine or ultra fine bench stone. Maybe a fine diamond?

Like josh said ceramics or diamonds would be the next step unless you want to use water stones.

Back