I feel a change coming over me...

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
So I usually carry my Spyderco Manix with me when I am out cutting grass, or doing any work outside. It has worked really well, and I put it through its paces. One of the few folders I really "work".

So, I was going out yesterday, and didn't feel like lugging around the big Manix. Thought about which folder I wouldn't mind if it got a little "sweated" on :barf:. Went with my Camillus rough cuts stockman.

It got a heckuva workout yesterday, but it stood up to it. I still like and use my Manix, but I think I am slowly but surely coming around. What kind of traditional do you guys use for your yardwork?

My R.Bose 4" Backpocket (see avatar)..Used it this weekend to cut trimmer line and cut some flowers with. Knife is razor sharp and could probably still give you a shave, even after the yard work. ;)

I'm an apartment dweller, SHS, but if I did do yard work, I might go with a nice Sodbuster (seems appropriate)

ca032.jpg

I'm in a condo so not much yardwork. However I do a lot of house projects on the weekend, and my work slipjoint is an SAK Tinker. It's light in the pocket which is nice if you're wearing a tool belt or apron. in addition to the extra tools in it, the large and short spear blades fullfill most functions that I need, and it sharpens up easily which is important when you are using a knife hard. Those deep burrs are murder to get out of D2, 154CM, S30V, etc.

I generally use the SAK in combination with a work/beater Spyderco Native. Great combination.

For yard work I use a Victorinox Swisstool. It will cut, saw, and make quick fixes on my crappy lawn tractor.

My yardwork knives.
Sodbuster Jr.
Regular Table knife (from an old set). :D.
A 4.5" fixed blade by Eric Chang (BF member). (Ivy cutting knife)

It kind of depends on what I am doing. Most of the time if is rough work a full size sod buster, folding hunter, daddy arlow, or slimline trapper is my choice. If I am harvesting broom corn, pumpkins, or stuff like that then I use a 6" beef skinner or butcher knife. no matter what the big knife I always have a barlow, medium jack knife or peanut for picking splinters or finer work. Joe

Buck Odesys in back pocket, Schrade 33OT in front. Both made in USA.

Ive been carrying a Case XX tested barlow. Scary sharp 154 CM blades in a compact, yet stout little knife.

An old Schrade Walden Pruning Knife that looks just like a Hawkbill for trimming my young Palm trees and Ficus shrubbery.

And/or same as you SHS, my Camillus Rough Cut Tobacco Stockman for all sorts of chores like cutting bags of mulch or bags of salt for my water system just to name a few.

And/or one of several of Eddie Whites Shaddowknife fixed blades for customizing watering hoses for my sprinkler system and zero-scape projects in the gardens.

For garden work-often involves pruning or rough use I have: Old Mora in laminated steel,two blade Barlow in carbon and for really beater work a large bone handled Rough Rider sort of sodbuster but with a lock, in stainless.Been getting a good crop of courgettes and broccoli recently and the Barlow is small&deft, just what you need for quick accurate cutting.

For that kind of work I use an old butcher knife and/or my Kneissler farmers knife. (My EDC around the house since I got it ~ 2 years ago.) :)

800_6537323936333930.jpg

We have a garden, but we also have a gardener (Our landlady is very garden-proud). So I don't do a lot of yard work. But out bush, big is usually my Nexus 7 since I got it, a smaller fixed blade for finer work, and whatever slipjoint(s) crawl in there before I leave the house.

Back